Just bought a new 7200rpm for my iBook!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by spaceballl, Apr 23, 2004.

1. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So I've been talking about it for a while, but I finally plunked down the cash today. I decided to have some fun, though, and instead of getting the 60gb Hitachi drive that everyone seems to get, I got the Toshiba 50gb drive instead. This one has 16mb cache though instead of the 8mb that the Hitachi drive has.

What are the best benchmarks I can run before and after to see if upgrading an old G3 iBook's 4200 drive to a fast 7200 rpm makes a big impact on overall performance. Just let me know and I'll run it. I need a speed bump to keep me content until the G5 PBs come from Apple. Also, I took a chance with this drive because there isn't too much documentation on it, but I really wish there were a comparison between the two 7200 rpm drives out there.

Also, what's the best way to copy all of this data onto the new drive? If I get an external enclosure, is there some kind of software??

-Kevin

2. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i don't really have any suggestions other than xbench, but i did want to wish you the best of luck and tell you that i will be looking forward to seeing the results of your little experiment.

3. macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

4. macrumors 601

stoid

As for duping the old drive onto the new, check out Carbon Copy Cloner. Great app, simple and easy!

5. macrumors 68040

JFreak

you can expect 100% speed boost to the hard drive performance and therefore feel great snappiness after the drive exchange. based on my experience with my older powerbook (667dvi).

6. thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm going to make performance charts and everything :)
    -Kev