just bought a new macbook. need help with file transfers and other things..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by echosmyron, Jun 4, 2008.

1. macrumors member

May 14, 2006
    i just bought a new macbook and i have to transfer my applications, music, etc. from my 10.4.11 imac to my 10.5.3 macbook. today i tried using an iPod to do it but it takes too long, so i'm going to the apple store tomorrow to buy a firewire cable. i have a few questions

1. when i tried to open photoshop on my new macbook, it said something about not being authorized to open it. i have a few other "paid" applications like MS word and powerpoint, crossover, and others. how do i transfer applications correctly? do i need to transfer the support files too? don't know how this works.

2. is setting up mail on my new macbook just the same as setting it up on the imac?

3. how can i transfer widgets to the new mac?

4. is there a way to migrate all of the photo booth pictures on my old mac to my new photo booth?

5. is firewire/migration assistant/whatever its called the best way to transfer things?

6. is there an article like this for using firewire to transfer music, not an iPod?

sorry for all of the questions, this is the first time i'm doing this.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 26, 2008
    I setup my new MB last week. I Connected the FW to my old mini w/ Tiger. I left the default settings to retrieve / transfer all info. Email, pics, widgits, apps, music, everything. The only thing I had to do was update itunes and re download handbrake.
  3. macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Yes, use the migration wizard. I think its in the Applications/Utilities folder.
    I think that should do the trick
  4. thread starter macrumors member

May 14, 2006
    does anyone know what to do about photoshop and word or how to set up mail again?
  5. macrumors 65816

Mar 30, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    If you use Migration Assistant, you won't have to do that again. It will take all of your settings and transfer them.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

May 14, 2006
    thanks for the help everyone. the transfers went well and the only thing i have left to do is my music. do i have to change any settings in my old itunes before i use target mode to transfer my music? only problem is photoshop and guitar pro are quitting right after i open them.
  7. macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    SHould not have to change any settings.

Photoshop or any part of Adobe CS can be problematic after a transfer like this and I would recommend a re-install of the program. Sometimes it goes well, other times it doesn't. It's luck of the draw.

One thing you can try is deleting the adobe .plist file for photoshop.
    It should be in ../Username/Library/Preferences and maybe one other place I can't remember.

Good luck.