Just bought a Powerbook..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by silversyren, May 7, 2006.

1. silversyren macrumors member

Apr 9, 2006
    feel vaguely ill..

My first Mac, my first laptop.. my first time spending this much of my own money.

Powerbook 15" DL Superdrive, 1.67ghz, 1.5 gb..

ugh.. I just woke up (yes, I'm a college student, I did just wake up at 3:00 in the afternoon) and buying a laptop first thing isn't quite the best feeling!

I do have a question I hope you guys can answer for me.. if you've read this far in my whining. ;)

AppleCare -- is there some page that lists what they will cover and what they won't? If I extend AppleCare than if I drop it, spill water on it, etc.. am I covered or do they only cover things like hard drive failure, etc?
  2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    How much did you spend on the PB? AppleCare only covers defects and failures. Spilling a beer on your keyboard and other accidental damage (falling from dorm/apartment window/stupid drunk roommate throws laptop into pool to see if it floats) isn't covered...:cool:
  3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Why, what have you done to it?
  4. silversyren thread starter macrumors member

Apr 9, 2006

Hey, I'm that elusive good college student.. I definitely don't have to worry about dorm living.

I don't have the Powerbook just -- JUST bought it and it'll be on its way to me soon. I have until Feb 2007 to extend AppleCare and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Does Apple not offer anything like Accidental Coverage? My cousin's been through many a Dell laptop, all covered after she dumped water all over them.
  5. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    How much did you pay for it... But probably should buy apple care. Also can you still get applecare.

put in your serail number and make sure the laptop isnt over a year old but i doubt it since the 1.67 came out less then a year ago with DL super drive.

whats the res of the monitor?
  6. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    I think if you paid with American Express it will cover if you drop it out of a moving car. No Joke lol

Also i think they add addtional year of coverage. I do not have one so i am not 100% sure.
  7. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    Never mind
    $1300 on ebay....
    14.95 shipping not bad lol

15.2" widescreen LCD display
    1440 x 960 resolution
    1.67GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
    1512MB memory PC2-4200 DDR
    80GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
    Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    128MB DDR video memory
    Full-size, backlit keyboard
    Gigabit Ethernet
    USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 & 800
    Dual link DVI
    Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger
  8. silversyren thread starter macrumors member

Apr 9, 2006
    Ooh, I forgot about credit cards covering my stuff. I have Visa and they definitely have some sort of protection plan.. thanks!

The res is 1440 x 960 resolution so it's the latest version Powerbook befopre the MacBook Pro came out, I'm thinking. I paid 1300$ for it off ebay. :)

Great price if it isn't a scam. If it is, thank god for Visa zero liability.
  9. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006

It is a fair price... If I were you I would wait and just buy a macbook if they do come out on tuesday or get a used macbook pro i see them for $1600 or so... Do you have a laptop/computer now?
  10. silversyren thread starter macrumors member

Apr 9, 2006
    My personal computer (Compaq, a sad mistake.) is messed up and seriously old so I'm going for a newish Mac. I'm on the family's Dell right now.

I'm a design/fine arts major and I plan on doing graphic design when I'm tossed out into the world-past-college. I'm going to need Adobe stuff.

After much consideration, bothering of y'all, and way, WAY too much research, I finally decided to get a powerbook NOW. My budget was set firmly at 1300$ so it would have been nice to get AppleCare with my laptop but having a several month grace period where I can decide at leisure isn't too bad.

I'll keep the powerbook for at least a year, probably two and then get a desktop when I'm settled and need more power. By then everything should be Universal and any major flaws with the new Macs should be hammered out. ;)
  11. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    I just hope you don't have the vertical line problem on your Powerbook :eek: If you do, Apple might upgrade you to a Macbook Pro. ;)

I just hope I'm not scaring you! :D I'm still waiting for the Macbooks... I won't have any money until I work this summer so I don't have a choice. :p