Just bought an iBook, AIM help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ajaved05, Sep 17, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD

Im new to the mac world, i just bought my ibook yesterday with my student discount. I was downloading all the nessacery apps i need and i had a problem with aim, and i was wondering if this is just me or do alot of people get this?

after i sign on, and maybe check someones profile, the aim program crashes. I copied this from the error message:

(i tried reinstalling twice, and still the same problem)

Date/Time: 2005-09-17 12:32:32.539 -0400
    OS Version: 10.4.2 (Build 8D37)
    Report Version: 3

Command: AOL Instant Messenger (SM)
    Path: /Applications/AOL Instant Messenger (SM) ƒ/AOL Instant Messenger (SM)/Contents/MacOS/AOL Instant Messenger (SM)
    Parent: WindowServer [58]

Version: 4.7 (1333)

PID: 222
    Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000004

is there maybe some patch out there or was my mac just not made for instant messaging?

any help is appreciated.
  2. Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    You don't need AIM: iChat is AIM but for Macs... give it a whirl, I think its purdy. :D
  3. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    might want to give www.adiumx.com a try as well, unless you need to do file transfers/direct connects or A/V this things is the best out there, especially for multi client chatting. and its still not a 1.0 release yet, and sooo many customizations available.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    I use to have the same problem. click on update mac software and see if that helps. After installing the latest updates from apple my aim's been pretty stable.