Just bought an iBook from TechRestore :D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Jun 16, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I just bought an iBook from TechRestore for $289.99 + 10.00 for shipping - regularly $399.99 - all together for $299.99.
    ----
    iBook G3 500MHz
    192MB RAM
    10 GB HDD
    ----

How's that for a price? I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 576 (I think its 64 standard, 128 added)MB and up the hard drive if its not too hard and get a new battery. http://www.pbfixit.com should have some stuff on how to upgrade it. http://www.newertechnology.com seems to have the best batteries. I'm so excited you guys, do you think this will be a good purchase for me for mobility?

EDIT:
    What RAM will and won't work for the iBook? I went to 4allmemory.com and they sell a 512MB PC133 RAM for the iBook, but Apple's specs say its PC100. I would like to know what companies RAM will work, because I'd rather pay less.

2. simmonstwin macrumors member

I dont know what type of ram you need but i to just got a 867 12' PB from tech restore and this thing looks like it just came out the box. i through a 512 stick ram in it and the thing runs like a dream and comes with a 6 month warranty.
    and all that for under 900 dollars :eek:

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I got this from their rapid deal today. I love TechRestore, they have good service, good coupons (and this is the first time I've bought from them), and they seem so helpful. I give them a 5 out of 5.

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Whoa! :eek: Awesome price. It feels weird knowing that the exact model you bought was my first Apple about 4 years ago...and I paid $1299 for it!

G3 iBook prices seem to be dropping fast, and thats a good deal. Most of them run Tiger/Panther fine, with memory upgrades. I think of them as the ultimate machine for Internet/iTunes.

5. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

PC100 or PC133 ram will work (though the PC133 ram will just operate at the lower bus speed)
    that's a pretty good price, almost tempted to get one myself

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

how did you get the discount. i don't see any info on the site about that.

7. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Slookster werent you aiming for something higher then 500mhz? It should treat you well but whatch out for the logic board problems the G3 ibooks are notorious for them.

8. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If you sign up for their savings email, then you get special special discounts. Like that was a RAPID DEAL as they call it.