just bought an ibook, have a few ?s

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jaxle, Dec 30, 2002.

1. jaxle macrumors newbie

hey all, i just got an ibook and i love os x, i dont touch my winxp comp much anymore, gonna be installing linux on it soon and become windows free hopefully :)

anyways i have a few ?s that hopefully u all can answer.

How do i uninstall internet explorer? or atleast change my default browser to chimera, everytime i double click on an .html file or something it opens ie, even tho its not default, even tho i set .html and .htm files to open with chimera ALWAYS, is this ms' doing?

Can i compile nix apps that arent included in Fink? I read somewhere that you ma yhave to edit code, are there tutorials anywhere that can explain how or atleast tell me where to begin?

So far every ftp app i've tried for os x pisses me off and sucks big time. Although most are fine for regular users i use ftp for a lot of things, particularly fxp, im about to try ncftp but i havent installed it yet, anyways a os x ftp client like flashfxp for windows would be great, anyone know of any?

Any good documentation you could link to on using advanced features of OS X, i still dont understand the inner workings of how things work in it like windows.

i dont think i have any others, thanks :)

2. jaxle thread starter macrumors newbie

well i cant seem to get ncftp precompiled os x binary because all the links i've found are broken and its not on ncftps website anymore, could anyone point me to a working mirror?

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

To uninstall IE simply:
    Go to the Applications Folder
    Selcet IE
    Drag to the Trash
    Select Empty Trash...

That's all you do to uninstall things on a Mac. You'll soon get used to it.

4. vniow macrumors G4

To uninstall anything on a Mac, just drag it from whatever folder it's in (usually Applications) to the trash.
    Then go to your system prefs/internet/web and make sure Navigator is your default.
    For HTML files, control/right click on one, then go to open with/other/find-wherever-you-put-chimera and click 'Always open with' then OK and you should be all set.

I rid myself of that bug of a program known as IE a long time ago and never went back.[​IMG]

5. jaxle thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, that was too easy, no registry bs or anything

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

As a new switcher to the mac platform, I love it when I hear other people say that. "It was too easy!"

7. demonx macrumors regular

Yeah when I got my iBook, I spent a good day trying to find the "Add/Remove" Programs page, to uninstall stuff lol:eek:

For a ftp client im using one called Transmit

8. jaxle thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i use that, its too simplistic, thats my only complaint about os x, there just isnt the vast ammount of software that there is for windows, and most of it is just not what i like hehe.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: just bought an ibook, have a few ?s

go to your system prefrences and click on the interent button. there should be a tab in there where you can choose chimera. ignore the idisk stuff unless you have .mac. just drag internet explorer to the trash if you dont want it.

iJon

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Ditto on Transmit. It's the best FTP client I've seen for OSX, though I use Fetch since I already had a license for it. Surely there's a lightweight X11 open-source FTP client? If you find one let me know...

11. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yeah, games are where OSX is most lacking. What other software besides FTP are you looking for though? I've found that Mac has a ton of great software, often better than the Windows equivalent. (for example I like BBEdit better than TextPad now, Transmit better than WS-FTP, and of course iTunes is way better than any MP3 player on Windows. And I used to think Acquisition was a good Gnutella client before the whole Gnutella network apparently went down the toilet :mad: )

12. jaxle thread starter macrumors newbie

well, svcd/vcd player software (free, im not paying for macvcdx or wahtever), i use VLC right now but its version 0.4.sumthin and it works but it can be buggy and slow.

i prefer winamp over itunes..

i hate using p2p and never did on windows so no problem there :)

what i really want is a nice fxp client like flashfxp for windows

13. backspinner macrumors 6502a

Although maybe not as great as flashfxp, I use osXigen for FTP. I like it.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

VLC works pretty well for me... but yeah - that's the only good option beyond MacVCDX.

If you are into burning VCD/SVCD's there's a host of 3rd party utils... here's one page on the info: http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/

and another http://www.sbpr.a.se/systemjammers/vcdtoolsx/index.html

arn

15. kenkooler macrumors regular

I usually use fetch or ftp from the terminal...

16. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

that's just because you haven't used itunes enough and you are just used to winamp...

just keep using itunes for now and you will continue to discover how great it is, like the way it organizes everything (better than musicmatch does) and smart playlists...when you have as much music as people like me do it comes in very handy

17. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Have you tried...

osXigen

RBrowserLite

Captain FTP

Fugu .9

Transmit X

Check on versiontracker.com

18. jaxle thread starter macrumors newbie

i like organizing mp3s in directories, itunes imports it all, makeds copies, and does it its own proprietary way, thats what i dont like about it

19. jaxle thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Have you tried...

yes ive tried all of those, i like osXigen the best, im not stupid, i can search version tracker heh, the thing i cant do is find one with fxp support, because if one does, it doesnt really say so.

and backspinner, does osxigen support fxp or dont you know? i dragged a file from one site to another and it transferred it but i cant tell if it is downloading it to my computer and uploading it to the other site, there is no status window like ffxp. another problem with all ftp clients ive tried.

also, when u ask osxigen and transmit and others to download a file, it opens up a second connection to the ftp site to do it while leaving the other open, is ther any way to prevent this?

20. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Just go to the Advanced preferences and unclick "Keep iTunes folder organized" and "Copy imported tracks to Music folder" (two separate preference, I really don't like the automatic organizing but I actually like the automatic copying).

Forgive my ignorance, but what is fxp?

21. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Sorry. Just when I switched a while ago, I didn't know where to download mac software except download.com ... Just trying to help. :)

If any of those ftp developers take suggestions, maybe they could add the support for what you need.

22. jaxle thread starter macrumors newbie

doubt it, fxp isnt widely used

basically, its site to site transfers

you connect to two ftp sites at once, and you can transfer a file from one ftp site, to another, without it going through your connection

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

As someone else stated... these are preferences... if you like, iTunes will leave all your MP3's untouched when importing.

arn

24. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

ok, windows apps that were great without real substitues on os x.

bpftp (far and exceeds wsftp)

acdsee (image software, kicks iphoto's ass)

kazza (p2p, but everyone knows that)

mirc (irc client, by itself, unimpressive, but the massive skinning and customization made it fantastic)

powerdvd (dvd player, excellent software)

Nero (best cd/dvd burning software)

The Bat! (mail software, the most powerful client software i ever used with a decent GUI)

---------------------

now, itunes kicks any other software's ass. no question, especially for large libraries. OS X is lacking decent word processor, i'm waiting on the new nixus writer. (*praying*) but what was good on windows was MS Office (which sucks on OS X) but it's ms, so i didn't want to include it. OS X has proteus for instant messaging which is so much better than trillian and of course OS X runs all my *nix stuff (one the best things about OS X)

so yeah, i love my mac because of OS X, but i agree software is still lacking. one of the great things about OS X is though, (xmd is good example) even if you write badly, your software still looks great! but the developers are great, and seem to genuinely care about users, i could never say this about windows and only sometimes about *nix .