Just bought an iMac 17" - waiting for it to arrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wrldwzrd89, Jan 27, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I decided that a PowerMac G5 would be overkill for simple 2D game development, so I got a 17" iMac instead. According to the Order Status page, the iMac will arrive no earlier than Thursday (January 29, 2004) and no later than February 6, 2004. Boy am I looking forward to having my own Mac again!

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Congrats!! I sure love mine. I have owned tons of macs, but I still love the imac's display.

3. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Awesome. iMac's are great computers. I am using my G3 iMac still, and have upgraded to panther. It works great. I am amazed at the life span of the iMac. I just bought a 12 inch powerbook and there really isn't too much of a difference except in gaming and effects speeds. I am amazed at how long this thing is lasting our family. I am sure you will have your iMac for many years. Enjoy it as it becomes a member of the family. Great purchase.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

Not to mention that the PowerMacs are so darned HUGE. I think the 17" iMac is the perfect size and shape for a personal computer. What speakers are you getting?

Hey, and what games are you going to write? :cool:

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I got the default Apple Pro Speakers. I plan to develop (cross-platform) adventure games and RPGs on the iMac. I also program the TI-89 graphing calculator - some of my projects on that will be ported to the Mac (and Windows, for those cross-platform projects). I am working on designing a Dragon Warrior-based RPG and a Castles of Adventure-based adventure game (CoA for Windows can be found at this web site).

6. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

7. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you referring to me? If so, the answer is "No, I do not."

8. Richter macrumors member

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Game Development

Nothing right now, since I don't have my Mac yet, but when it arrives, I'll use XCode.

10. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It shipped!

The iMac shipped from the factory - now I just have to wait for ground delivery to bring it to my place.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congratulations on ur purchase. i hope you make many great games with it!!!

12. noelmac75 macrumors regular

You made a great purchase, I got my imac 17" 64mb superdrive this time last year. Brilliant computer, i use it for everything games , design, burning , internet... and it hasnt let me down in speed yet or has it crashed once. The imac is just your ideal personal computer, everything you could ever need and more.
    The screen is a great size too, i watch all my dvds in widescreen, i recommend the soundsticks by the way, as them pro speakers are just a bit weak on the 3d sound, games play great on it too, iam playing Halo at the minute and it runs very smooth. I have 768mb ram in mine so it helps, i would recommend maybe more ram as it does make a lot of difference, you can open more apps too.
    Its also whisper quiet too, so you;ll hardly even notice its on, also when you get your imac make sure you calibrate the screen as i had to do it, it makes a lot of difference to the contrast of the screen.
    Wish you all the luck with your imac anyway

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Glad everyone loves the imac it is a cool machine's though i still think it could use a little more juice ( G5) as far as the pro speakers go they are pretty good. get a isub to go with them and the computer will divert the highs and mids to the pro's and send the lows to the isub. I find its all i need when in my office. itunes and games will rock.

14. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Just in case you're curious, I upgraded the RAM to 512 MB (one DIMM) from the 256 MB it comes with so I could easily further upgrade to 768 MB or even 1 GB. I did this so that the user-accessible memory slot would be free for a 256 MB or 512 MB RAM chip.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: It shipped!

Congratulations on your new purchase wrldwzrd89. I noticed when watching the Quicktime for iLife '04, that the creative professionals all had the 17" iMac.

16. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Re: Re: It shipped!

I completely missed that in the iLife video. Thank you, wdlove, for pointing that out!

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree the iMac needs more power, but what doesn't? ;) The eMac could use a G5, the PowerMacs could use a G6... it'll never end. :) The nice thing though is that the G5 iMacs will be out in the next few months I'm sure, and the line will get an excellent update - then the iMac will be an even better machine.

But for now, I'm extremely pleased with my 17" iMac as well as everyone else here, and it will meet my needs just fine for the next couple of years at least. Everyone has different needs of course, so the iMac is not for everyone, but it is an amazing machine and to the original poster, I say great pruchase, and I know you'll love your new iMac. As for me, I love my G4 iMac so much that even when the G5 iMac comes out, (although it'll be a great machine!), I won't feel guilty at all for buying my G4 iMac. :cool:

18. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My iMac's here, finally - but it's unstable

I got my iMac - but it isn't stable. Lots of kernel panics - can't run software restore or hardware test (kernel panic before the user interface loads), single-user mode doesn't work (kernel panics), Mac OS X freezes or kernel panics randomly. I need to take it to the Apple Store to have it looked at.