Just bought an imac, now i have questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steven1621, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Today, I convinced my parents to purchase a 17in iMac. They were brought up on windows, so are a little worried. What can I do to ease the transition to mac for them?

Another question as well: We got a refurb that has an 800 Mhz G4. Will this be fast enough for internet and word processing and basic computing tasks?

2. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
  3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

First you should have a look on Apples website. They have a special section for switchers. If you have any more concrete questions - come back.

And yes. Your iMac will be fast enough for your tasks. How much RAM do you have ?

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

My parents got an iMac a couple of years ago and had no trouble adjusting to it. (It was a first computer.) Have your parents considered a .Mac account? For some people, it's expensive but I personally find the online tutorials (complete with Quicktime movies) to be invaluable.

Squire

5. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

it is coming with 256 MB of ram? would performace and overall "zippiness" of the os be greatly improved if we added some more?

6. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Overall zippiness will occur. :)

You'll be fine for now...just keep it in mind for the near future..you'll be glad you did.

7. JasonL macrumors regular

I'd say upgrading to at least 512MB would be worth it. I wouldn't think you'd need any more than that for the uses the machine (as you described) will see. Congrats.