just bought an iSight

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heart Break Kid, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Yes, its true

I finally stopped using my DV cam and decided to put down the $129 (w/ student discount) for an iSight. All I can say is WOW. This little thing not only looks great on its own as well as with my 17" Al Book, but its super functional, and makes video conferencing on-the-go a blast

my only hope is that we are able to cross platform video confrence with AIM users on PC's

heres to hoping the future is bright for iChat AV and the iSight

2. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Apple and AOL are working together. No dates to when it will be coming out though.

3. Pseudonym macrumors regular

I'd love to get an iSight, but I would be like Alexander Graham Bell with his first phone - noone to call!

4. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

My First iSight Experience --

Sitting in Starbucks in Atlanta (where I go to school) and wham! I hear that ringer thing go off. Answered, and it was my buddy from Toronto, video conferencing from the school library there with me at Starbucks. Believe me when I say, ppl payed more attention to my 17" PB then their Grande De-caf Mocha

I love this thing!

5. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I'm planning on getting one as soon as AOL's client will work with it. I'm wondering it with all this commotion over iPod if Apple even cares about iChat/iSight anymore. It doesn't even have it's own place on Apple's online store anymore. They just lumped it with "Apple Accessories"

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I love my iSight - and I'm hoping to get iLife soon so I can use it as a video camera - you can capture video and audio from the iSight to iMovie :D

D

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i was in a philosophy lecture last week at school

usually the backrow is filled with macheads - all typing away on their powerbooks or iBooks. a few of them had there iSights on, and were capturing the lecture in iMovie

i thought that was pretty nifty little trick they were pulling

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

hmmmm, maybe I should try that lecture trick.

9. lem0nayde macrumors regular

Can iSight do things besides conferencing (which I have no use of Mac-friends for). For instance, could I set it up to take time-lapses or use it to make silly movies around the house? I guess I'd need a pretty big firewire tether to pull that last one off.

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

With the new version of iLife '04, iMovie allows you to capture DV clips with iSight. While the quality is not the same as a quality DV Video Camera, it is pretty good. I captured some video of my 4 year old daughter sitting at my desk reading a book to the computer this afternoon. Young kids love seeing themselves on the screen, and she could watch herself on the screen as it was recording. Fantastic stuff!

11. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried out the capture in iMovie, and the quality is decent enough for short clips. Your not going to be makin the next hollywood blockbuster or impressing ur tech savy neighbour with the video u capture -

i think im gonna try recording a lecture using it and see how that goes. I wonder how large the clip will end up being. Hope it doesnt eat up like 30 gbs :D:D