Just bought Dual 2.5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mnstr_trd_sd, Jul 5, 2004.

1. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my joy and announce that I just bought the Dual 2.5 G5. I waited long enough for it. Although it won't be in till august, I am extremely excited. I guess my 2002 Quicksilver will have to do until then. I upgraded to two 250 Gig hard drives, 1 Gig of ram and the Geforce 6800 DDL ( thats why i have to wait till august even though the 2.5 ship date is july). I'll keep you all posted!

The next time i buy is when the G5 powerbooks come out. Can't wait! :D

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

3. mnstr_trd_sd thread starter macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

I don't care for little noise, as long as i have the power. Besides, who really cares. This is my professional work horse and will make Maya 6 fly faster than any single processor. Especially my Quicksilver I am currently using.

little noise vs. a **** load of power and huge speed bump. There's no comparison.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    wow congratualtions that must have cost a pretty penny hope u enjoy ur machine

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I bet the G5 is still quieter than your quicksilver!

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, Hardmac posted an update about the 6800 noise, saying that the Apple card might be changed from the PC version to make it quieter. I wouldn’t have anything against it.

7. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

What do you want a medal :rolleyes: ;)
    Good for you I hope it is going to get some good use. I hate people who simply buy a new machine to advertise the fact. Sorry bad day toda and not even lunch time yet.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One exception: if Dont Hurt Me ever actually bought anything - PC or Mac - I'd love to know. ;)

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

He probably didn't buy the new G5 solely for the purpose of bragging here! :p

10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Yeah....

Where is that guy? :confused:

11. iBook macrumors regular

Congratulations! Holding out for the G5 iMac or the next revision of the G5 PowerMac. The dual 2.5 is too pricey for me.

BTW -- For the curious... The above configuration runs $4,024. Monitor and other BTO options TBD.

12. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Are you sure lol :p

13. mnstr_trd_sd thread starter macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

damn bob,

don't hate, im just happy. i saved through the mirror door drives and the first set of g5's and the 17 inch powerbooks, it's a big accomplishment for me. you would be just as happy if you were in my shoes. cheer up dude, go eat or something.

And yes, I do 3d on Maya and Video editing/Motion Graphicx for a living. My quicksilver was way too slow. In my line of business, time is money so i'm hoping this will help me accomplish projects for my clients alot faster.

thanks for all the supportive posts.

Ibook-for you inquiry. I paid the student price for it (my brother helped me with that) and didn't get the monitor since i'm already using the cinema display. With the options I chose and the discount i payed about $3,650 with next day shipping.

14. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I don't hate, I suffer from clinical depression lol so being happy is difficult. I am pleased for you I know how hard it is to save in order to get what you need.
    How long you been in your line of work? I'm freelancing at the mo and getting a consistant amount of work is a pain, getting people to pay up is even harder :D

15. flappo macrumors regular

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm confused about where this noise would be coming from. I have a constant humming noise from my dual 450 2000 model. The noise doesn't bother me in anyway.

Congratulations mnstr_trd_sd on your 2.5 G5. Are you also getting the 30" display?

17. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That's quite a machine that you've got ordered, and it sounds like with the work you do, it'll be put to good work. :cool:

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Congrats

Know exactly how you feel.
    We've just ordered 3 of them for work -- due sometime this month.
    We'll put an extra 2gb + std 512mb ram (crucial.com prices, not apples) & Western Digital Raptors in each one. They should fly!
    Now, where did I put that copy of Solitaire for OS X? ;)

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

nvidia's new line of cards have a huge fans on them to keep them cool, which is the reason why it takes up the space of another slot.

iJon

20. mnstr_trd_sd thread starter macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

Hey thanks everyone!

Bob, I've been freelancing for about a year now. It started off slow, but eventually it got so busy I had to turn away clients. Not because I couldn't handle it, but because my quicksilver couldn't keep up.(The reason for buying the G5) I am located a little south of Hollywood California, there is a great abundance of work here and recomend anyone in the field to relocate. I sure did.

Wdlove, I wish I could afford the 30" right now. Maybe in a year after I recover from this purchase.

Blue Velvet, Damn where do you work and where can i apply!

flappo, macfan25, ijon thanks! :D

21. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would seem that the fans already present in the G5 would be satisfactory. Will the noise be any greater than a 2000 model dual G4 Power Mac?

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Unbearable to even contemplate!
    Bought a 1.42dual about a year ago for home and ended up spending a lot on the full Verax kit to save my sanity! Worth every penny...