Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nelwd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Hi
I have just won on eBay a 600MHZ Snow G3 Imac. It is coming with a new blank 40gb HD. Can i just put in my copy of 10.4, and install it, or should i do anything else first? I have read on the net somethng about a firmware update that you need to do to the G3 before you install OSX. I don't know the history of the machine, and although I assume it has had OSX on it's old drive i am not sure. Will I need to install os9.2.2 first and run the update?

Thanks

Will

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
It might need the firmware update, but it probably won't as it is a later model. If it did need it however, you could just upgrade it from whatever system version is on the machine OS 8/9. Just put tiger on that sucker and enjoy :)

I would definitely update it, in OS 9

Can i just put in my copy of 10.4, and install it, or should i do anything else first? Will I need to install os9.2.2 first and run the update?

I think you have to-- I have done firmware updates on iMacs and they often seem to be OS 9 based..

I have read on the net somethng about a firmware update that you need to do to the G3 before you install OSX.

There was a problem a while back where you had to update the firmware first or the video wouldn't work anymore. There were workarounds but I would avoid the problem in the first place if at all possible!

from http://theappleblog.com/2005/02/24/forgot-your-firmware-update-no-problem/

"Mac OS X, on the other hand, required the latest firmware update in order to run properly, and if the firmware wasn’t up-to-date, installing Mac OS X on the iMac would result in an iMac with no internal display. Connecting a monitor to the VGA port worked in the case of the iMac DV models, but it didn’t help users with earlier iMacs, and it required extra hardware that the user likely didn’t have. The end result of all this was that a lot of people ended up with unusable iMacs that they weren’t able to fix themselves."

This happened to me with a few iMacs, there was a way to get around it, but I forget what I did and would have to go look it up. I'd just update the firmware first...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.