Just bought Imac... Stuck pixel!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rxl125, Apr 15, 2006.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

I just bought an iMac at the apple store and brought it home... It has a red pixel stuck in the middle of the screen!!! I went back to take it back and they gave me a policy about pixels and wouldn't take it back! I want to keep the imac, but a red pixel in the middle of the screen is unacceptable. What do I do now? Will my credit card company fight this? The apple store manager was a jerk!

2. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

yes I have tried the massaging trick and the flashing program that flashed many colors. Should I dispute this with my credit card (visa platinum)?

3. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

In this case, you have to be a real pain in the ass. You need to march back to that Apple Store and make it a clear point that you are dissatisfied with your machine. Tell them you didn't pay all this money for imperfection, but be as polite about it as you can. Make sure there are other customers around when you say this, as it will make the manager cringe. ;)

4. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

I spoke to the manager on the phone as it is over an hour away. However, I did take it to the local Apple store, and both gave me the same answer. I did make a fuss at the local store after being real polite. Has anyone ever gone the credit card route? Also would calling apple help?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It might... to be honest, though, Apple's policy in this regard isn't atypical. There are companies that will replace any screen with stuck/dead pixels, but there are probably more that have policies similar to Apple than do not. :(

6. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

being in the middle of the screen is what sucks... It's smack dab in the middle. I wasn't presented any pixel rule when I bought the computer. The rules aren't listed anywhere in the store. I have a 53 inch lcd rear projection tv that doesn't have any stuck pixels, and 17 inch computer shouldn't be that hard.

7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Apple has a policy for dead and stuck pixels, one which has been explained to you. Your credit card company will investigate and you'll end up paying a fee for the bad chargeback on top of still having to pay for the machine.

Contrary to another poster, you aren't paying for a perfect machine. You're paying for a machine that meets specific standards. Your CPU likely has a manufacturing defect or two in it as well--you'll probably never know, and it's not something you could see with your eye. Your RAM likely has a bad bit somewhere, too, unless you've paid extra for the premium RAM from a third-party supplier. There is a fault tolerance built into almost everything manufactured--ensuring perfection would result in higher prices on dimishing returns. Think of it this way: if you can guarantee 99% perfect parts for $100, but going to 100% would increase costs to $115 on that one component, would you? The answer is no, because the extra cost to the customer wouldn't be justified.

I always feel bad for managers who have to deal with customers complaining about how "expensive" product x is to have a dead pixel, or a panel gap, or a squeak in the dash. They think that because something is more expensive than a paperback book that it's expected to be closer to perfection, when in reality, it's more expensive because it costs more.

8. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I'm going to have to disagree with you. If I make a big investment, I expect it to be perfect, and I use that tern loosely. If I spend around $1,500 for a computer, I don't expect it to have a glaring stuck pixel right in the middle, and I don't believe anyone should settle with that.

9. TallShaffer macrumors member

I'm sure the store has their return policy readily available for you, as every computer store does. Also, the policy on monitors tends to be 40% of the screen dead or an area larger than a quarter for them to even care (at least for the mfg. warranty to kick in). I bet that in the imac box was a little tag saying what the dead pixels policy is for apple.

Another thing, usually on the receipt is where the return policy is printed, so there would be no question as to restocking fees...etc.

10. Whistleway macrumors 6502

If the deal pixel bothers you, make you let the apple store know that. Be firm and polite, as that helps. Let me know that the work you be doing like photo editing etc would be troubled by it.

Good luck with it and its too bad it happened to you.

11. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

One stuck pixel out of 1.7 million is hardly glaring. Also, you know in advance (or have access to information) that specifies a given's company's policies. In this case, 8 defective pixels or >2 in one square inch makes you eligible for a return, if I recall correctly. Apple has done their part to ensure that their products meet that standard, and that is what you are paying for. If your personal standards are higher, that's fine, but no company is under any obligation to meet them.

12. localnet macrumors newbie

That is not right...

I know about Apples policy on stuck pixels, but you should be able to exchange it I would think. If the Apple store gives you any more headaches, call your credit card company. I believe there are retail consumer protection laws that cover these types of problems.

I do hope you get this problem rectified. I know I would have not been so polite, a fight would have insued. Ever seen an iMac FLY? I probably would have left it there in several pieces, ate the money, and gone around the corner and bought another one.:eek: My local Apple store is staffed by know it all, uppity little so and so's, which I have no patience for. That is why I never shop there, and I would never purchase a computer there. Call me a 40 something intollerant red neck with a short fuse. At least my wife doesn't ask me to go shopping with her!:D

On a side note: I have heard of similar problems when purchasing direct from Apple, which I will not do, other then an occaisional iPod. Next time give CompUsa a look see. I have always had good luck with making purchases/returns there. And I do know, having purchased several iBooks from CompUsa, that the stuck pixel issue is not a problem. And that is according to my local store manager. I know that this does not help with your current situation, just future Mac purchase advice.

Mike

13. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

If it is only a stuck pixel, check out pixelmurder.mp4. After playing the file for a few hours, the pixel will most likely be "fixed".

14. Whistleway macrumors 6502

Please don't act all high and mighty.. It is not your computer that has this problem. I love apple, but you are cutting way too much slack for them.

If you are not satisfied with the product you bought, you have every right to try to make sure you are happy with it and if that is one dead pixel, so be it.

15. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I'm not cutting Apple any slack. They have a policy, they followed it, a chargeback here would be ruled in Apple's favor, end of story. Don't act like I'm somehow giving Apple special treatment as a company. Everyone has had high dollar purchases that aren't 100% flawless and had to live with them. My bumper had a panel gap of .34" on the right side and only .19" on the left side, and it was a not-inexpensive car of German manufacture, but the panel gap had to be at least .4" to be eligible for free adjustment, so even though looking at it from the front, the left side hung lower, I had to live with it. Eventually, I paid to have it adjusted myself because it bothered me.

You have a right to voice your concern and dissatisfaction, but you are not entitled, legally, to anything else here. The machine is within production tolerances--in legal terms, the computer is not defective. They may choose to help you, but you are not entitled to anything. It's like buying a piece of Sterling silver and having yours come out to 99.91% purity and someone else has 99.93% purity. You might be dissatisfied that your tea set is slightly less pure, but it's still Sterling silver and you got what you paid for.

16. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

No, getting what you paid for in this case would be getting a flawless computer. For $1,500, I expect flawless. Whether you are legally entitled to one or not, it is your right to do whatever you need to do to be satisfied with your expensive purchase.

17. t1rider321 macrumors regular

now im scared my imacs gogin to be comming with dead pixels

18. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

You didn't pay for a flawless computer. You paid for a $1500 computer, which is nearly flawless. Now, if you had negotiated to pay an extra $300 to get a computer that was absolutely perfect, when everyone else paid $1500 for their nearly-perfect iMacs, you would have a case. You don't have a right to do anything here, except return the computer if you're dissatisfied with it, and return it in accordance with their return policy.

"Occasionally, a transistor does not work perfectly, which may result in the affected subpixel being turned on (bright) or turned off (dark). With the millions of subpixels on a display, it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable."
    - from the horse's mouth

19. localnet macrumors newbie

For you guys defending Apple and their industry standards, that's fine by me, but not acceptable. That is why I will not shop direct with Apple for a computer.

And I have worked both sides of the counter. I know a little about dealing with customers, and they are not always right, as some of you have properly stated.

But, if I purchase a new item like an LCD television, and it has a visible dead pixel right in the middle of the screen, or a gash on the cabinet, that is not acceptable, fix the problem. Just like when I buy a new semi tractor and it has a problem, fix the problem. I don't care how it's done, that is not my problem. That is the service part that most companies, and store staff have forgotten about, or have no concept of today. And I'll go with the latter.

Mike

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it was not Built-to-Order, you should be able to just return it for a refund. From there, just buy another one through another outlet....

21. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Exactly. Customer service has gone by the wayside, but it's unfair to blame the companies alone for this practice. Customers lie, cheat, and manipulate well-intentioned CSR's to the point where companies with quality service cost more and customers go elsewhere. It's acting like you're entitled to special treatment and service beyond company policy that's asinine and a big reason why the service industry is so crappy today.

22. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I had a problem with an Inspiron (Dell) laptop screen and although I do bag them out they replaced two screens for me on site.

23. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

they want to charge me 10% to exchange it though!

24. localnet macrumors newbie

Sidekick, I know what you mean...

I could tell you stories. My take is from an honest persons point of view, that has been burned a few times over the years. I hate a thief, and I know the costs involved in running a business. And I have accepted flaws in items I have purchased over the years with nary a peep.

What gets me is the attitude of many of the retailers out there. And I am talking about the attitude before you even make a purchase. I do not spend my money with such places (Apple Store). I will, and do, spend a little more to get good customer service. I am not going to quibble over a few bucks if you are treating me right, and will take care of me after the sale, you will have myself as a loyal customer. I will pay a tad bit more for my trucks, trailers, cars, Apple computer equipment, etc... But, I expect great customer service, and the ability to pick up the phone and have most all of my limited problems taken care of immediately. I have come up from the bottom, and work hard to keep what I have and grow my business. The last thing I want to deal with is some know it all punk telling me what is acceptable.

I like having a relationship with retailers, because they need me and I need them. It used to be a two way street, but that is quickly fading away.

Mike

And if I hear the "your rich you can afford it" line one more time, I will hurt someone.

25. localnet macrumors newbie

rxl125

Eat the 10% and exchange it, save yourself the headache and never ever shop there again. It's cheaper then my flying iMac plan.

Mike