Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I couldn't be happier. w00t!

Except... I am encoding some DVDs using Handbrake and its fans whirl up louder than my old Pentium IV PC (which is fairly noisy). It is probably as loud as the background sound from my air conditioner.

When it is idle the fan spins down and it is all nice and quiet. Wrist rest is surprisingly cool too. Is there a problem with my fans? I am actually quite happy with this one so I don't want to risk getting one with dead pixels or other problems as a replacement.

Also at maximum brightness I seem to have the impression that the left side is brighter than the right. Does anyone else notice this as well?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
the fans are spinning up because the CPUs are running hot. possibly >70 C. It is normal behavior for the fans to spin faster as the chip gets hotter. :)

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Handbrake is very processor intense. The fans should kick in to cycle out the heat that comes from the processors, as well as the DVD drive.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.