Just bought me a DELL!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

Monitor that is! ;)

Purchased the 2005FPW for $487 shipped plus sales tax. Total was about $520. I am really excited! It was spur of the moment, saw the Dell discount and paired it up with a 35% off coupon, couldn't pass it up this time around!

Now, I just need to wait and see if anything changes on the PM G5's at NAB. I can't hold out any longer! Business is calling, don't want to lose out on those $$$!

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions with this monitor. :)

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

You're not the only one. Many mac users here are buying the Dell monitors because they're soo cheap. I would get one for the price, but I'm an Apple purist.

3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

sounds like a steal to me... good purchase i'd say...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now we just need a mod project page on how to paint the thing to match a PB or an iBook or whatever.... :D

I'm a no-wires purist, so I'm sticking with my built-in LCD. :eek:

5. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

I just bought a Dell, too--a lcd tv for a nook in the kitchen. Surprise, it's made in China and working nicely.

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I was all ready to put in a nice big "BOOOOO! HISSS!" when I saw the title of the thread. Too bad it was just a monitor... :p I'll have to let out my dislike of PCs somewhere else... :D

7. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

I'll second that idea on getting a mod to paint it to look like the casing of a PM or PB!

For starters, I'll just stick a nice Apple logo over the Dell! :D

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I will be putting a Dell LCD in the kitchen also.. only it will be hooked up to an old Macintosh 5200, with a TV tuner card, and an 80 GB hard drive..

My LCD tv (with Recording ability) cost me only $210,

$190 17" Dell Monitor
    $5 Remote for Apple Comptuer
    $15 Apple computer with 80 Gig drive

I have alredy recorded 2 one hour shows with this computer at full screen..

Awesome, cheap, poor man's LCD Tivo :D

9. wide macrumors 6502a

the dell look matches my pismo :)..awful pity the poor 8mb video card wouldn't handle it....

10. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I also have the 2005FPW and love it. I have no dead pixels and the color and quality seem to be the same as the Apple ones I saw at the Apple Store. I also got mine for low $500 shipped. Anyone who buys the Apple one is crazy.

11. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

By the thread title, I thought you were going to put up a troll post to get people here riled up. Nice approach though; trickery.

12. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I had to get everyone's attention somehow to read my happy post!

13. anubis macrumors 6502a

Don't hate. Many of us (myslef included) are hybrid computer users, using both Macs and PCs. I have a Powermac G5 for my desktop machine and an Inspiron 600m for my laptop. Thus I get the joy and speed of a Mac for everyday use and the INCREDIBLY INEXPENSIVE 600m for running the occasional PC-only app and occasional portable/remote computing. (1.6MHz Centrino M, 512mb, 30gb, 802.11g wireless, ethernet, dvd-rom, 2 batteries, 64mb radeon 9000 video, 14-inch screen, 5 pounds for $730 shipped, and that was about 6 months ago)

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah.

I'm a hybrid ;)

I use my Duron 900 MHz that I built with my own hands and my hand built Powermac G4. (Its scraped together from it and a Blue and White G3, haha.)

Both work excently, I like XP, but OSX whips its @$$. :)

My brother owns a Dell. He has to redo the installation every month it seems to keep it running decently. >.> Plus it crashes a lot, and its REALLY frickin slow, it drags behind mine, and its a frickin' Pentium 4 2.53 GHz!

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

yesh...

I think we all share the opinion that it's not the monitor that makes using windoze such a pain in the arse.

I'm going monitor shopping soon, and it's not going to be an Apple monitor.

16. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Thats not fair..

Damn you!! You Americanites pay £276.87 for your lovely monitors. We pay £450 at least!

I know its all relative, and we got a strong exchange rate in our favour, but I take it at face value - I could afford £276.87 for a lovely monitor..

I'm gonna quit my whinging and buy one when my 4 yr old 15" Hansol H520 gives up. That was about £270 quid back then! Shame I dont get a Student Loan any more..

17. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I think it is fair!

I can't buy any of the great cars you can get in the UK, both Brittish, and other European makes. Love my VW's, but we don't even get the full VW line!!

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

Hehe... nice topic...

People go the other way too. I have a friend who's a diehard PC user - Linux for development and Windows for games. I drop by his house, and on his desk is a new 30" Apple Display - with a windows taskbar along the bottom! Didn't know whether to laugh or weep.

19. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

Hey, I'm a Mac man to the core, it's just the monitor and there is no way in my budget I could afford a Cinema display at those prices.

I look at it this way. At work I have dual 20" Viewsonic CRT's, one is plain crappy in color and contrast, the other is so-so IMO. I then go home to a very nice yet small and not so bright 15" Ti Powerbook. Based on what I already look at all day, this should be a drastic improvement for me!

Not to mention instead of going from two CRT 20"s to a single 15" I can go home to a wide screen 20" LCD with a much greater screen resolution!

20. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

That sounds fun to have. I'm plotting to get a Mini and tuck it behind the tv, using Bluetooth and Airport. Of course, it's so my wife can access her A Cook's Books program at the point of use. Only thinking of her. :)

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Wow.. your setup sounds way cool!!

Let me know how that works. The TV supports Blue tooth? or does the TV have a video input that the Mini can connect to?

22. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Just out of interest before I drag this thread off topic - how does this Dell Monitor look on a mac mini? Is exposé choppy at all?

Well i gotta buy me my first powerbook before i can think about getting this monitor, but its definately the next monitor i will buy - i really could use that extra width for photoshop/cubase/reason :)

Yeah but then we pay double what you pay on the Gallon for fuel :D

23. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Good for you!

Dell is really the only other PC company that I like after Apple. I don't care what other Mac-Zealots say, Michael Dell is an incredible Entreprenuer. If it wern't for the niche market that Apple is, Dell would stomp on it, just like they have with HP, IBM, Gateway...

Mike

24. diavolo macrumors member

Dell is like the Wal-Mart of the computing industry. Sometime you can't afford NOT to shop there...

I can definitely agree with getting a Dell display for the PM. Spend the saved cash on accessories for the PM! Or just save the money and be ahead of the game.

25. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

You nailed it exactly. the extra money saved can now go towards my new video card and extra RAM!