Just bought my first Mac Computer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Symtex, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I wanted my first forum post to be here. I was reading alot of thread regarding Mac Mini and iMac G5 for the past few days.

I'm an IT Professional for the past 14 years and we've been trying out Mac at the office and was impressed with the stabiliy of the machine. It just a simple G4 1ghz with 256 RAM and MacOS X run smooth with it. For the past few years, i spent my time cleaning out spyware and viruses for my customer. I'm to the point I don't even troubleshoot anymore and just to ad-aware as my first move.

So this is the Mac I bought :

PowerMac G5 SP 1.8 ghz
    1.25G RAM
    ATi 9800 Pro 256 RAM

The rest of the option are standard. I just hook it up about 15 min ago and i'll already all setup. Amazing. Before i would spend hours optimizing and tweaking my Windows XP. I'm currently installing World of Warcraft and i don't even notice it a flinch in the processing power available to me for other applications. In Windows, i would have to wait for the lenghty installation to finish before doing something else.

I think i will be a definite switcher for a long time. I will keep my pc for application that doesn't exist on mac. Plus the Power Mac G5 is so quiet compare to my pc.

I just would like to thanks everyone who has post in this forums that helps me switch to MacOs X.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the community! You seem like a pretty capable user, but if you need help, I've found there are lots of people on these boards willing to give good advice.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Welcome.

Get Remote Desktop for mac and you can access those apps on the mac,
    i'm having a Dell in my closet that I access from my mac.
    (RDC is free from microsoft..)
    If you have experience with linux or other unix, be sure to get X11 for it so you can compile and run linux apps.

4. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have experience with linux, so I will get X11 soon. the RDC is such a good idea. I'll access my pc remotly has after 30 minutes of MacOS X convince me of not going back to Windows XP for a while.

I felt stupid when I ask the salesman : "How do you open the DVD ?". I bought a Plextor TV402U and I heard that Elgato makes a good program that support that Plextor of mines. How good is the program ?

5. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

6. iJoe macrumors member

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Eject button is on the upper-right corner of your keyboard.
    For MacOsx support on your burner try Patchburn (www.patchburn.de) it will possibly make all iApps recognize it. I'd recommend Toast Titanium if you need to buy a DVD/CD burning app.
    I have never used elgatos app.

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

welcome aboard! I switched a little over 3 years ago and never looked back! :D

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

10. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

welcome...I recently switched myself, not ALL the way yet, but I find that I am neglecting my PC more and more...which isnt a bad thing ;)

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Welcome! The next time you find yourself with an extra $100 or so, you might want to add at least 512MB (you need to add memory in pairs, as you likely know already). Nice system you have, though.

BTW, the only Elgato apps I'm aware of are ones which support their own products, which are actually pretty decent.

Edit: never mind - now I see on their site where they support the Plextor!

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I guess as a starter machine a SP 1.8GHz would do, although if there was 20/20 hindsight, a Dual G5 1.8Ghz would have been the better machine. G5 and OSX are massively parallel so you could be rendering using 100% processor power and not feel sluggish in Finder or any other app.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

The Plextor TV402U isn't a DVD drive, so this advice doesn't apply; it's an AV digitizer.

And you're correct that Plextor actually sells a Mac version of the TV402U that is the same hardware with Elgato's EyeTV software (they also make their own EyeTV hardware) to control it. I'm not seeing anywhere you can buy the software alone to make your Windows software-only TV402U compatible with your Mac, but surely there's a way since the hardware isn't any different.

14. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have you read that I have 1.256 Gig of ram and you want me to add another 512 meg ? So far Mac Os X runs likes a baby on this machine.

15. Makosuke macrumors 603

He either didn't pay attention to your original post and assumed you left it at the stock 256MB (a mistake many people do make), saw the 256MB on your graphics card and mistook it for main RAM, or he's some kind of memory junky that thinks you need at least 2GB for normal use (in which case it's time for some detox, man!).

16. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just read my G5 model review on Macworld.com and they make it sound like a PowerPc G5 1.8 ghz is a very low end machine and it's not worth purchasing if you do any PVR. I just don't understand why they would say that. It's not a dual processing computer but since i'm not an professional video edit i think I even went higher machine that I should. I would probably have a Mac Mini and still have enough juice.

On the other hands, I like the tower slick design.