Just bought my first mac!! Hasnt shipped yet :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joshuwa72, Nov 5, 2003.

1. joshuwa72 macrumors member

I've been looking into macs for a long time now, and finally decided to take the plunge.

Last sunday, I ordered a Dual 1.25 G4 w/ Superdrive and Office v. X Studen Edition.

Office v. X shipped and I have recieved, but the g4 has yet to ship :(

when i do get it though, I will post back and let you know how my "switch" goes!

(btw...does anyone know what type of shipping lag i should expect? do g4's usualy ship right out or are they a heavy demand item that take a while to ship?

Thanks!

2. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

I just ordered my first Mac on Nov 4. The Display and FCPE says its shipped and the G5 on or before Nov 7. That good, but I used standard delivery, so transit time is 8 to 12 days. So I'm looking at up 3 weeks, assuming those "days" are work days not calendar days.
    I ordered a G5 1.8 with 20" display. The debate was between that and a DP 2G and 17" screen.

3. joshuwa72 thread starter macrumors member

once office was shipped, it only took 1 day for it to get here, so that was pretty cool.

4. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

i'm in the same boat. waiting..........

i ordered my PB12.1 last week and i've watched it go from taiwan to alaska to Memphis (today). the fed ex website claims it will be here tommorrow :)

all the software i ordered at the same time surprisingly has not arrived yet ?!

choosing the mac so far was the funnest part...... waiitng suxs the most hands down........ hopefully using it will be the best part :)

i hope i get it tommorrow...... what shipping method does mac use in the US ? we get fedex in canada

cheers
    matt

5. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

What shipment method did you use?
    My order status says "Best way"
    the part of the order that shipped says : Carrier : SAME DAY RIGHT AWAY with a tracking # like "SVA..."
    How do I track?

6. joshuwa72 thread starter macrumors member

US ships with fedex, at least mine did.

Check your order status, and it will tell you whats goin on. once it ships, it will give you another tracking number.

click on the new number and it will take you to fedex's website where it will show you where your package has been, when it was there, and what it did while it was there. kinda neat.

7. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

tim,

since we're both canadian i'm assuming we both get the same service
    - you should recieve a tacking number the moment it leaves the factory, until then you have to wait :)

It didn't take more than 2 days for me to recieve a tracking number (ie they finnished building it and shipped it) in the mean time you should recieve information about your order being processed (or something to that effect) which essentiall means that its now on the assembly line being built (usually a 1 day affair)

EDIT - oh and I didn't pay for superfast shipping just the free ground shipping that comes with a new PB. I believe they all ship with fedex.

cheers and let us know how it goes :)

matt

8. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

My order status says that part of the order has shipped. The Display & software.
    The is a tracking number. A "SVA0..." is the tracking number. But I don't really know the carrier, it says "Carrier : SAME DAY RIGHT AWAY". No web link.
    I tried using the tracking number at fedex, but that didn't work.
    On your order did it say the same carrier as me of fedex?

9. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

i ordered some software, it shipped before the PB and i did not recieve a number that allowed tracking. I got a number very similar to yours.

My guess is anything already pre-built or packaged (software monitors mice etc.) get shipped purolater or canada post and is not trackable. It is also probably shippped from within NOrth America

Your CPU (like my PB) is built in Taiwan. IT will be built and shipped from TAOYUAN CITY TW and then almost instantaneouly a shipping number (trackable this time) will arrive in your email.

The only other time I've been involved inan order from Apple was for my best freinds Dual G5, with a 23HD screen. The screen arrived in short order (with no tracking number as i recall) but we watched the G5 for a couple days as it moved around north america and asia.

here is the sequence of event for my order thus far.

Oct 29
    -ordered PB and software
    - later the same day a note saying my order was being processed
    oct 30
    - Software shipped
    - recived an invoice for the order
    - my credit card was charged for just the software on this day
    Oct 31
    -PB shipped
    -recieved shipping invoice
    -credit card charged for computer

- it then Sat at Chang Kai Shek Airport in Taiwan for three days
    -arrived in Alaska and sat for two days
    - arrived in Memphis this morning
    - the site claims it will arrive before 12pm tommorrow. I'm hoping it correct :)

EDIT - The reason part of my (and your order) shipped seperatly is that we chose 'ship as item become available' (default option)

cheers
    matt

10. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Yup. I originally ordered on Monday, but then wanted to upgrade memory. Well, we ended up canceling the first order and I resubmitted. Checked the ship together the first time, but missed that the second time.

11. joshuwa72 thread starter macrumors member

from taiwan? :( wah..lol

that means even if it does ship today, I wont see it until like monday.

12. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

tim-i missed it to when making the order :(

oh well doesn't matter much as i haven't recieved either yet!

Ya its a long wait Josh :( Taiwan is VERY far away.

cheers

13. joshuwa72 thread starter macrumors member

My computer just shipped from the apple.com store and it is now chillin in sacremento, ca.

Estimated arrival here is Tuesday, so thats not too bad.

14. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

thats cool :cool:..........

mine still hasn't arrived but i trust it'll be here by the weekend, I've cleared Friday to play with it :)

your lucky its state side. I wish my laptop was made in the US (or Canada or for that matter mexico) it would be a shorter journey and thus a shorter wait..

here's hoping tommorrow i'm typing on my new PB this time tomorrow :)

cheers
    matt

15. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Just got notification that my G5 shipped.
    Whaaawhooo :)

But the tacking number is also a "SVA..."
    number. Does that mean it shipped from the US? I still don't know how to track it.

16. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

congrat on the shipment - no idea on the tracking though.........

maybe they only provide tracking for overseas shipments?!?

my PB for some odd reason is now in Winnipeg! maybe fedex has their sort facility there? either way its 6:30pm and i doubt i'm seeing it today...

oh well hope you have better luck!

cheers
    m

17. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Called Apple.
    The SVA... numbers are for Same Day right Away courier (Canada) www.sameday.ca.
    My tracking numbers don't show up yet. They should showup once the it hits customs.

Matt, that PowerBook is getting closer :)
    UPS has there whatever point in Winterpeg.
    So with any luck you should see it before Christmas ;)
    That means mine might be after Boxing day :D

18. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

Before Christmas!! eeek!! :eek: !

I'm hoping by this weekend :D

its just that the PB seems to be better acquainted with world travel then i am;)

what we need to fix this problems is to invent transporters, like in star trek. we could call it the iTransporter :p i should have paid attention in Grade 12 physics .

cheers

19. joshuwa72 thread starter macrumors member

fedex's estimated date my g4 will arive here is on Tuesday...but im thinking maybe if I drive out and meet the delivery truck halfway, I can pick up my g4 in wyoming on saturday :D

20. rodnarms macrumors member

Apple Shipping in Canada

I have found that normally Apple uses FedEx for city deliveries and Same Day for rural areas. I could be wrong. In my three Macintosh deliveries, this is what has happened.

I ordered my PowerBook on Monday October 27, and it arrived to FedEx in Taiwan on Friday evening on Oct. 31st. I asked for two day shipping. It took two days to get to Anchorage Alaska, then arrived at Memphis on November 5th. It 'missed it's flight' for some reason there and arrived at Winnipeg Manitoba where it had to go through customs. Then from Winnipeg it went to the Hamilton Ontario airport, then driven to Cambridge, where it is now on a FedEx delivery truck to be delivered today!

Wow, what a trip.

21. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Re: Apple Shipping in Canada

I live in Edmonton. The shipment appears to becoming Same Day. No tracking Info yet.

Two day shipping eh?

22. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

mine is currently getting a tour of our Nations Capital......

I should be playing with it sometime in the next few hours :)

cheers

23. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

it just arrived!!!!!!!

I'm typing on it right now!!!!!

this is me on my brand new laptop!!!!

yayyyyyy:) :)

cheers

24. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Excellent ! Congrats !
    How long did delivery take? ship to door?
    Did you get your software?

PS Time to change your sig :D

25. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

I missed the delivery! by 5 min!!

i called up fed ex and the guy drove back here and delivered it. from the day it left the factory it took one week to arrive!

:) it had one heck of a trip..... it went to hamilton then montreal and then ottawa?!?!

anyway i'm half way through the mac tutorial for switchers! its so lovely to have this sucker finally!!!!!! the computer works great! listening to a new CD in it....... it was totally worth the wait :)

cheers