Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by krappamc, Feb 18, 2005.

1. krappamc macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    hey, guys!
    omg, i'm so happy about my new powerbook
    it's a 12" but i am happy with the size and it's fast too (faster than my expectations!)
    well, it's not a new model but i bought the new older model 1.33 ghz 12" superdrive at UCSD with student dc for 1199 usd!
    i'm just so excited and i am glad i exchanged my mac mini for powerbook.
    thanks for the advices before, guys.

I LOVE IT!!

(oh, would 768 ram be enuff for running fcp pro 4.0 pretty smooth?)

2. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Might want to up the RAM a bit ... you can find some cheap 512s out there, just got to know where to look.

Congratulations with the new powerbook, you'll love it :)
  3. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    calgary, ab canada
    congrats. they're a great investment. i bought my g3 powerbook 5 years ago. i've never had a single issue with it, just replaced the harddrive because it was small (6 GB was a lot then). they have a great useable life. your 12" inch powerbook is extra cool they are so portable, way cool.

have fun.
  4. sirius1722 macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    Seattle-area, WA
    Congrats! I bought my 12" PB almost 6 months ago now and I still am excited by it! I would probably up the RAM to the max and put a 1GB stick in there. I think you can still get a cheap stick from Outpost.com for about $160. It's worth the upgrade ;)
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Err.... the Powerbook 12" has one memory socket, krappamc already has a 512 in there...

6. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

osx, while it went through some early issues with using up too much of the ram, has settled on efficiency and still keeping the eye candy, too...probably cleaner code

your 3/4s of a gig of ram should do fine...but of course, a gig of ram is better...no matter how much ram you have, there is a way somehow where you can find where more is better

heck, you can have four gigs of ram in a g5 power mac and that may seem enough forever, but someone somewhere will make a game which will feel the difference between 4 gigs of ram and 8 gigs of ram

anyway, have fun with your new mac :)
  7. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    ops! I completly forgot about that. Still, you can get a max of 1.25gbs in there.
  8. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Get the 1GB of ram if you are going to upgrade. I have a 12" 1Ghz too and is an incredible machine but it sucks when you know you didn't upgraded all the way when you could. Later on your 512 ram won't cost nothing if you try to replace it for a 1GB one. I would recomend you to save money but go all the way at once.

By the way, in the future you woudl like to get a 20" screen and you will feel your computer is not so saml after all! I am running my with a 20" and lid closed and I ma editing video in FCP HD.
  9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    The 12" PowerBook is a great machine. I love mine. Good luck with it!
  10. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    yep yep another recent powerbook 12" buyer here too... tis a beauitful machine. i love the size of it, and looking back at my wintel 15" Gericom laptop is kinda... well... its bloody huge. in a bad way.

just ordered a 200gb hard drive for my IcyBox Firewire/USB enclosure thingy. space is everything :D
  11. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Oh im jelious of you... have fun with it. When should it be ariving?
  12. littlejim Guest

Congratulations - you have made a great choice.

I got my 12" Powerbook when they first came out, over 18 months ago, and it still gets complements for it's looks and design. It was, and still is, the best computer I have ever bought (and my first computer was a Sinclair ZX81!).