Just bought new Powerbook!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Juswitched, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Juswitched macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I've been looking around on this site for months and have finally decided to get a 15 inch PB SD/80 GB 5400/512 instead of a Thinkpad T42. I also got the ipod and free printer. Of course, I chose the option to expedite shipping (2-3 day) but my order says it ships on or before august 4 :confused: How long did it take you guys to get your powerbook? Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself as I will probrably be asking some questions once I get my powerbook. Thanks a lot

2. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I ordered a BTO 15" PB on the 23rd and it shipped this morning from China. It says it will be here Friday. My order had said that it should ship on or before the 2nd of August.

Congratulations on making the switch.

3. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

congrats... as a former M$ user, I can honestly say you won't miss the old platform. :)

I bought mine from the local Apple Store, but from what I read the online orders sometimes are padded with ship times, so they can be the good guys when it shows up early.

4. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

I swear...everytime I'm reminded that I didn't get in on the iPod deal, my blood pressure rises dramatically. Akh! Oh well...I did get the printer, ended up giving it away (I had no need), and forgot to send in the rebate on time.

I missed the iPod deal by 2 weeks--but I waited 5 weeks to get my Mac (delayed the purchase because of Grad School--not wanting to get totally distracted with a new super toy/tool).

5. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

my BTO 17 PB shipped the day after I ordered it and was here by the end of the same week (standard shipping)! I got lucky :D

6. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your fast responses! I am very excited that I won't have to put up with windows and its problems in college. Hopefully my PB will ship soon like some of yours.

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Congrats on the purchase, it's well worth it. You will probably get it a lot sooner then that. The PB in my sig was ordered on a tues, and it was here the fri of the same week.

8. Champale macrumors member

Congrats!

I just ordered a 15" one myself!

Can't wait to get mine either. *drool*

9. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

I hope you will enjoy your new Powerbooks, I know I enjoy my 17 inch PB :)

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yep, 17" is lovely.

11. hsvguy macrumors newbie

I just got my 12" PB less then a week ago. Already, im begining to wonder how i lived without it. It's my first mac notebook since my PowerBook 165 back in 1992, and i can honestly say that I wont be going back to PC based notebooks.

The performance is awesome (def a step up from my rusty G3 350) and i love the way it makes people gawk whenever they see me using it. So far my favourite laptop ever (I've had 6). I like it so much, im considering dumping my PC for the iMac G5.

HG

12. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

I mentioned this in another thread, but since you asked specifically, I ordered a 17" PB on July 23, and it is expected to ship on or before August 2, which of course, isn't necessarily the delivery date. The iBook I ordered along with it isn't expected to ship until Aug 23 however!

By the way, a lot of threads mention, "Shipping from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Los Angeles, etc." How do get that extra information? I just have ship dates when I access www.apple.com/orderstatus, no places.

13. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

Ozone, when you're at the order status section there will be a fedex tracking number underlined in blue if it has shipped. You can click on the link and it will tell you where it is exactly.

14. nyprospect macrumors 6502

i got my first pb 12" 1.33 a few days ago.i was showing it to my dad and he was impressed.I out of nowhere started stroking it like a cat.My dad gave ne that look like , hey son get a life .just wanted to share that .congrats on your pb.

15. PeterD42 macrumors member

Mine took a week, so far have only had two late evenings to play - so far so good although there do seem some quirks with OSX that I have to learn.
    Also I got the Mac to try to keep my kids away from MY computer - they are game and MSN fiends. My son discovered Garage Band last night whilst I was out and the rest is history :mad:

16. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Haha, Garageband is indeed nice. it is so easy to record something from my guitar and then record another solo track over the rhythm track.....

When will the 20" PB come out? :D :D

17. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I always thought size did count?

me and my 17" PB!

18. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

hope you enjoy the powerbook, it is an amazing machine, apple is the best and you will soon know!

19. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Thanks... I'm not sure if they use Fedex all the way into Canada - well, they probably do. However, given that my order still shows as not yet shipped, I guess, I'll be waiting a few more days yet. *sigh* My current PC laptop crashed again without warning.

20. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if I have to be at my house to sign for the powerbook, printer, ipod or will they leave them at my doorstep? Thanks

21. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

If it is being shipped by FedEx, they will not leave it at your door. A signature is not required, but someone must be there to accept it or else they will try to deliver again the next day.

This is just my recent experience with them, some people may have had their computers or other goods left.

When UPS used to do apple's shipping, they would leave things on the doorstep. Once they left a powermac G4, LCD, Speakers, and ipod sitting on my front doorstep in plain view.

22. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. I guess I'll just have to wait at home for the next few days. Good thing it's the weekend though

23. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I find it odd that most of the posts (hey that rhymes, anyway) I read about appl products shipping come from China or somewhere in Asia. Why do I find this odd you ask? well my 12"PB shipped from Tennessee. Maybe thats where fedex picked up the tracking info, but mine started in Tennessee, US