Just bought.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by opusthe2nd, Sep 5, 2005.

1. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

A 15" PB/1.67/Superdrive/512 (for now), $1850

A long time FreeBSD user, finally made up my mind to stop dinking with FBSD as a desktop. Now, OS/X for the desktop, and it is so cool!

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Congratulations. You will definitely enjoy it. Great choice BTW.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

4. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Great choice. Of course, as you know, you've still got a FreeBSD based OS, it's just got GUI that's better than anything else out there on top of it.

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a good deal opus@milneweb.c. Welcome to the Mac side and MacRumors.

Is your PB still under warranty? Would recommend AppleCare and increase RAM to 1 GB if affordable.

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

You were actually able to use FBSD alone as your standard desktop for that long? :eek:

9. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Warranty is new. Will get another G of ram....once I recover from the purchase price. *;o) Not sure Applecare would be a wise thing. I have not heard too many people in favor of purchasing it. I do have a year to make up my mind though, right?

FBSD is in my opinion the best OS available today. For sleekness and functionability that is. As soon as you add X to the package, you are in for a lot of fiddling. I enjoyed the fiddling but it was taking too much of my time up. I needed to be more responsible with my free time.

Its a good thing OS/X has CL abilities, not sure I can go without that in my life.

10. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

You have one year from the ORIGINAL purchase date to buy AppleCare. Check to see if your homeowner's/renter's insurance would cover your PB if something happened to it. I bought AppleCare and am very glad I did. I had my SuperDrive die 1 month after the year anniversary. Then my logic board went out twice about 1.75 years in.

11. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

12. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Aricher,

I called Apple, they said you have from the first day you use it. Dont know how they tell unless setup sends something to them. So I have the full time on the warranty. Got 90 days to do the Applecare though.