just called apple ..... alittle odd responce

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by twentyeight7, Aug 25, 2003.

1. twentyeight7 macrumors member

i jsut got off the phone with apple and some things have changed since the last time i called for the status of my dual g5.

first off my dual was orderd 7/23 all stock options

in the past when i called they gave me the standard on or before 9/30 now this time the guy talked about a time frame of 9/9 to 9/30 he said that my order would ship closer to the early date of 9/9 (alright by me)

the other odd thing... when i asked about when g5s will be in stores (i ment g5 demos) the guy starts goin in to how apple will never sell computers out of the stores before preorders are done shipping i stopped the guy mid sentence and said i was talking about the demos all of a sudden he started talking REALLLY fast saying how he rally dosent know and that hes unsure and then he started trying to hang up with me "is there anything else...." still REALLY fast. as not to drive the guy crazy i hung up but it just didnt sit well.....

... i dont know im just crazy

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

maybe he realized that it was the end of his shift at work and wanted you to hang up so he could go home :D :D :D :D

3. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

i think he noticed the girl he's been eyeing for several weeks now just walked by and for some reason she was topless. and he had to drop you quick.. before he lost his chance

people have priorities in this world.. and sometimes.. talking about G5's isnt one of them.

:)

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I can understand that. At the mall, the people always flood the customer service desk towards the last 20 minutes before the mall closes and it's impossible to get out of there. "How come all the stores are closing? Why can't you give me a gift certificate? What do you mean the computers are logged off?" "Maybe because the mall closed 20 minutes ago!"

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

perhaps his imodiom just ran out and was on his way if you know what i mean

6. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Sounds to me he like he may have gotten paranoid that he might have slightly violated his NDA. They usually are not allowed to discuss things like "how apple will never sell computers out of the stores before preorders are done shipping...". That could be considered inside information. It's sort of telling you just a teeny tiny too much about Apple's selling/stocking procedures and protocol. Probably not that big a deal but it may have made him nervous once he realized exactly what he said. Just a hunch.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

maybe he was sitting there catching a nice speed buzz.

my guess is that he was afraid of you cancelling your order, perhaps that reflects badly on the employee's record or something... who knows...

pnw

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

"What are you talking about? We aren't going to be shipping those PowerBook updates today, those won't be shipping until tomorr...uh...oh look at the time, my shift is up, bye! *click*" :)

9. twentyeight7 thread starter macrumors member

hahaah thats great :D

10. Mblazened macrumors regular

They quit at 5 oclock so that shouldn't be it.

Sometimes they can just be d*cks

11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I have to be honest, it is quite possible that you were dealing with Apple's latest iCustomer Service Representative. The biggest problem with Apple's AI representatives is/are that they are running on a chip set that is markedly more advanced than the G5. Wile you are working on forming the words G5, they have calculated pi to a billion digits, rebuilt their desktop 4 times, and calculated all the possible ways Lucas could screw up the next Star Wars prequil. Periodically they get introspective and start thinking about their nature and the universe, while all the time serving your needs. The really board ones think about their name and suddenly become self-aware and have a kernel panic, hence your shortened conversation. After a reboot (thus the long wait for an Apple customer service rep.) they are quite all right for a time. Who would of thought that putting the ‘I’ in front a noun would someday cause it to be come self aware.

I would… I .. iEniregnat, hey I’m an iBook. No wonder I spend so much time posting. Well no bother, at least my connection to the world is not through dial up. Or is it?

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

From your user name, I wouldn't be surprised if you were your own self aware tangerine iBook ;) Yet another of life's mysteries solved...

13. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Yes, and if you want to see something odd, click on the AI link I provided and launch the Alan Bot. Then ask Alan if it likes Apple Computers. It then goes on a this Alan Turing spiel. Then ask it about Weak AI or Big Blue. Note: Ok, I may of screwed this bot up. I related Apple computers to happyness, and Alan knows that happyness is a warm gun... I'm glad this is not my kid.

Self aware
    Tangerine
    and
    Dyslexic

I still think that the iCSR crashed.

14. frescies macrumors regular

yeah....

I just spoke with HAL over at the AI site.

Here is the extent of our conversation:

me: Hi hall (mispelling his name)
    hal: Nice to meet you hall, I am hal.
    me: How are you?
    hal: I'm well, how are you hall?
    me: actually, my name is David
    hal: Why yes! it's 5 inches when Erect.