Just changed iTunes directory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by p0intblank, Dec 25, 2005.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I just got an external disk to save space on my internal hard drive, so my first task was to transfer my entire music collection over to the new external disk. I followed Apple's intstructions on their Web site and everything went fine. I don't understand one thing, though. They tell me to delete my iTunes Music folder, but there is nothing within the folder. My collection is actually in my default Music directory under users. Is it okay if I delete all the music off my internal drive and use my external as the source? Also the iTunes Music folder isn't showing up on my external disk. This usually contains my playlist file... is this a bad thing? I restarted iTunes and it didn't create the folder automatically.

Thanks!

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

First off, make sure "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" is unchecked (in the Advanced prefs tab). This will ensure that you don't duplicate your music when you add it to iTunes after moving it to another hard drive. iTunes will always (at least in my experience) have it's own iTunes folder in the Music folder of your user account. This contains a couple files (iTunes Music Library.xml, iTunes Music Library) that consist of your playlists and library list, and there should also be an iTunes Music folder inside the iTunes folder. This will contain any music that you import from CDs or purchase from the iTMS.

I have my music on my internal HD, but it's in a different folder, and this is similar to your situation. The "iTunes Music" folder does not show up anywhere besides the "iTunes" folder inside the "Music" directory, so that's normal. When you move the music to your new external hard drive, all the file lists and where they are will need to be updated. I haven't done a move like yours, so I'm not sure what will happen, but I assume iTunes will say that it can't locate the music (when you try to play it) and it will ask you to locate it (and that's when you go find the new music on your external hard drive). Whether you have to do that for each song or not, I'm not sure. Move your music over to the new hard drive, delete songs on your internal HD, and then open iTunes and give it a shot.