Just checking that there's no OEM or anything like that for Office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sesshi, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Compared to what I'd pay to have Office Pro preloaded on a Dell, the Apple equivalent seems insanely priced. Multiply this by a few and you're already talking enough difference to buy another Macbook Pro :eek:

Is there a cheaper way to buy Office preloaded (not Edu) or with the machines on purchase? A software vendor I deal with can sell Mac versions of Office but they had no idea exactly how licenses were handled for Macs, and Volume Licensing is usually 10 licenses minimum if I'm not mistaken. I expect to be just below that amount.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I have office and they do require a key just like xp. As for it being peloaded don't they just give you one or a restore disk with all you apps

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sesshi, based upon my experience, Apple does not sell Microsoft Office licenses, nor can you get it pre-installed.

You can get a license from Microsoft directly or through a vendor.

Microsoft did have license's for Standard and Pro packages. The difference on the Mac being VPC -- which is now no longer applicable.

Disk purchase is separate and charged by the copies that you order.

License cost will depend on the number of copies, but it is a whole lot cheaper than the Education cost.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're at 8 or 9, it might still be cheaper to get a 10 seat license...assuming you can find a vendor for it.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It is kinda sad that you might actually be able to buy Parallels, Windows XP Home OEM and Office OEM and still come out cheaper than Office:Mac at retail prices.

B

6. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not hugely according to my vendor, assuming he knows what he is talking about. Once you get into ten seats it is a slight saving, but when the original price (of the Standard Edition) is nearly double an OEM Office SBE it makes little difference to the comparative bottom line in the end. It's a tad ridiculous - Office will end up costing practically half of the machines it's going on :eek:

7. deanops macrumors regular

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. deanops macrumors regular

no mate, i suggesting that it comes with it preinstalled, meaning a mac does come with office... sorry i must have read the thread wrong:confused:

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The preinstalled trials expire 30 days after you first start using them, so what are you supposed to do on day 31?

Sesshi is looking at buying ~8 Macs and run Office on them for longer than 30 days.

B

11. deanops macrumors regular

ok now i understand... sorry for my wrog input...

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nope. Your vendor is ripping you off!

Contact me via PM if you want particulars.

13. butaro macrumors regular

turn ur clock backwards lol thats what i used to do in the olden days