Just Crashed My Car

Discussion in 'Community' started by robbieduncan, Mar 26, 2005.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

:(

On hold to the insurance company right now. Looks like a right off! Was driving up the A13 towards London at ~70mph (within the speed limit) and someone in a white pickup decided they wanted my lane. Swerved hard and braked into hard shoulder to avoid contact and started to loose the back end. Corrected too much and lost it. At that point resumed standing on the brakes and went backwards into the central barriers.

I am fine. Totally uninjured (not even bruised). Car handled the impact very will, passenger area is totally as was before the crash. Essex Police were very quick and helpful.

Looks like I might be in the market for another car soon!

Pictures (from camera phone to follow).

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

At least you weren't hurt. Glad to hear you have no injuries. :)

3. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pictures

Pictures below. Sorry about the quality, only had my phone on me.

Attached Files:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

Sorry to hear about the accident. Do you mean the pictures are at your website? Do you mean that jaguar at your site? OMG.....

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Also glad to hear that you are fine.

And what of the white pick-up?

7. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pictures are above, but yes it's the same car as is on my site. Thanks to those above with the kind wishes. Insurance company now on the job. There are going to get an estimate for repair, but I think it'll be big bucks!

8. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Basically not worth pursuing. I told the Police what happened, but without more to go on they are not going to be able to do much :( The insurance company asked about CCTV in the area, but I don't think there is any. Basically they will get away with it.

I'm not happy about that, but that's the way things are. I'll almost certainly loose my no-claims bonus, even though I don't admit liability. So the next car (I've already assumed that I won't get that one back) will have to be in a lower insurance group.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Bummer.

Of course, the vehicle had to be white.

Sure it wasn't a white van man?
    Someone's favorite villain around here... can't think who. :)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Grrrrrrr.....don't get me started!

*grabs baseball bat, arranges to meet with robbieduncan to go smash some windows*

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Glad you're OK. Pity about the car. Even more of a pity about the insurance premiums. That's a real bummer because it can take three years to get them back to normal. Been there. :(

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry to hear about this. Glad you're okay.

I've resolved after the last time I swerved to avoid someone coming at me that it's just better to let them do the damage and take responsibility--to get them off the road.

Have a better day!

13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Sorry to hear about the accident. How's your back and neck? Maybe see a doctor just to be safe? Heard that most victims start to feel their injuries months after the accident.

14. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No pain at the moment. I don't think there will be. Since I hit the armco at a bit of an angle the car was not stopped instantly, but slid along it for a little bit. The impact force did not seem as hard as I would have imagined it to be. The seats in an XK8 are very supportive and well designed and the seat belts have pre-tensioners to help prevent whiplash. All in all I think I'm in good shape.

Thanks for the concern.

15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

nice slide you made there.

Good thing you where driving a good car. Imagine doing that with a peugeot 106...
    No injurys, always the most important thing.
    Have fun choosing a new one ;)

16. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I can most definitely empathize with you.
    My faithful heap of a car that I've been driving for the past 6 years finally bit the bullet this winter.
    Lost control going down a hill around a curb. Early moring; snow on the ground; a little too careless.
    Tore off the headlights and bent the hood and fender. Was able to drive away thought. Definitely not worth the money to fix up so I junked it. Not even the junkyards wanted it.
    But you had a Jag! Ohhh the pain.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Glad that you're OK - you never know, you might get the car back. My mother smashed a BMW 3 series into a truck in the mid-80s and they managed to rebuild it like new.

I do hate that insurance 'lose no claims' rule particularly when it wasn't your fault in the first place. Fingers crossed it's not too bad!

18. Covington macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    It's great that you're okay. That's what counts.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. Just glad that you are alright. You should visit your physical just to be on the safe side. Try to get plenty of rest.

20. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I know what its like. Years ago (1997) I when I had my Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas it was broken into not once, not twice, but three times in boston. The amazing this is I did not even live in boston, or work there. I would go there maybe a couple times every couple monthes. The repair costs were extrememly high. I also go rear ended by a young driver in the XJ6 and just to fix the bumper cost a fortune. Speaking of British cars my '01 Range Rovers air suspension broke a few monthes ago. Only $2,500 to get fixed.

21. iGav macrumors G3

That'd be a bummer... especially if you've seen this weeks Autocar and they list the cars you can have for only 100 notes a week, and your Aston Martin DB7 gets a mention in that list. :)

100 notes a week for an Aston Martin... literally no money at all. :)

22. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Was a Jag XK8, not an Aston, but still! Maybe I'll be able to get an Aston sometime in the future. I'd love to try a DB9 :)

23. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Good to hear that you are OK and hope that everything is coverd for you insurance wise.

But these people should get caught and pay for it, and not get away with it :mad:

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's criminal! That's an XK8! One of the most beautiful cars in the world! How can these people get away with it. :mad: Death to all white vans IMO!

Sorry, but I get quite passionate about XKs, they're gorgeous. :)

My condolences.

25. iGav macrumors G3

I know... :) I just recall you mentioning that you'd have liked a DB7 when you were first looking at buying the Jag... wasn't sure if you'd read the current Autocar. :)

I still can't believe it's possible to buy an Aston for a mere 100 notes a week! I'd be tempted... if I liked Aston's that is. :p That said they also listed a Ferrari 348tb, but I've driven one of those and wasn't especially impressed, even it does look cooler than the later F355.

Any idea on the damage on the Jag yet? is it just external panels or has the damage gone deeper?

If the quote comes back reasonable, would you consider digging deep out of your own pocket to save you insurance premium and no-claims?