Just did it...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tubedogg, Jan 23, 2005.

1. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    I just ordered a dual-1.8GHz Power Mac. :D This will be my first Mac since the Apple ][ GS way back in the late 80s. I am so psyched. :D (As evidenced by the fact I can't stop grinning. :p) I will be a switcher, though I intend to keep my PC for gaming.

Only a little over a week until it gets here...woohoo!!! :D
  2. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    w00t! congratulations dude! Welcome to the family!....you can never leave... ;)
  3. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Nov 29, 2004
    I was originally a mac user, had a 66Mhz Performa back in the nineties. Moved to PC in the late nineties because I couldn't afford a Mac. Bought an iMac 18 months ago and upgraded to a G5 Powermac 6 months later. I'll never go back to PC. Either will you!
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Awsome, happy to hear it. I wish i could afford a PM. Oh well, i'll have to keep saving...
  5. Loderunner2c macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2005
    I too just ordered my first Apple computer in awhile. My last was an Apple llc with one of those mono screens that fit on a "U" bracket over the chasis ....errr suitcase like case ....of by llc. Had this rig hooked up to a brother portable typewriter with a printer port!

I went on to suffer with DOS, Windows 2.0, Windows 286, 95, NT, etc.. because when that first Mac came out and I asked a salesman (they still wore suits and ties back then ....possibly due to higher margins, stores where more "car dealer like") about my llc software being compatible, I was pretty much scoffed at and dismissed out of the store.

Anyway, I'm over it now. BTW, I heard that OSX is UNIX based. Is the Vi editor still in the code somewhere? (just curious)

Enjoy that 1.8 Dual
  6. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Vim 6.2, I believe. Just launch it from Terminal.
  7. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Not even if you try (cocks gun). ;) :D
  8. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
  9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Welcome to the shiny world... the mac force be with you...
  10. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    Congratulations! That's a nice upgrade from an Apple II GS. ;) (and that PC)
  11. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2004
    PowerMac G5

Having researched the PowerMac details over the last 7-8 months now - I just spent £3k on a dual 2.0GHz with the 23' cinema Display. "7-10 Working days"

I cannot wait! Bought a "Lucky Bag" from the Regents Street store opening, and haven't been able to use the contents....

That screen will be the centrepeice of my recently re-decorated room!! :)

Anyone interested in a 10% off card for the Regents Street Store for about £100? Hope to put it up on eBay soon!

12. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    Yeah the II GS just isn't cutting it anymore. :p
  13. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Lucky youll be very happy with it ive used them be for did u get anything with BTO?
  14. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    Nope, I couldn't really afford much in the way of upgrades so I decided to order a standard model from Amazon...between the savings on tax and their current $150 rebate, I'll have enough to upgrade the video card soon. I'll also be getting more RAM in the next week or two.
  15. heaven macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    congrats for the purchase! Hope you enjoy your mac just as all of us here do! ;)
  16. TIGERmac macrumors member

Nov 12, 2004
    I think I have a pretty good idea of how you're feeling. Just received confirmation that my first Mac (EVER) will be shipping soon. After many (too many!) years of using Windows, I simply can't wait for my beautiful new iMac G5 to arrive.

Hold on a second...(wipes tear from eye while still grinning ear to ear) ;)

I can't wait to be a full member of the Mac community!

Mr. Jobs, if you're reading this, THANK YOU! (P.S. if you've got an extra 512 MB stick of RAM just laying around, my new iMac could make good use of it) :D

Congrats, tubedogg, on your new PM G5! I'm sure you'll love it!

17. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    Me too :D

Which iMac did you get?
  18. TIGERmac macrumors member

Nov 12, 2004
    I got the 17" model with 1.8 GHz G5 and Superdrive. I opted for the BT mouse and keyboard as well. With the proper amount of RAM (768 MB or so), it should be blazing fast. Your PM, on the other hand, should be insanely fast!!

Has your computer shipped yet?
  19. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    No, sadly Amazon is toying with me. After telling me last night when I ordered it that it would probably ship on January 28, the status changed this morning to "shipping soon", where it has remained all day. I wish they would either just ship it or put it back to an actual date estimation...I've seen stuff sit on "shipping soon" for several days before, though that was always with free shipping (which this is not).

I'll probably be upping the RAM to 2.25GB -- there's 256MB in there already and instead of buying 4 512MB sticks now, and then kicking myself down the road if I want to move to 4GB, I will probably get 2 1GB sticks now. I'm excited to see how the system performs against my current P4 2.8GHz. :D
  20. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    The time it takes to actually get a mac is the worst part of the entire process :( However, it is very much worth it in the end. I custom ordered a Powerbook 12" and it had a bad pixel. There were some miscommunications with the people at apple on the policy about this but it was settled and they are letting me get a replacement unit :) You will be very happy with your new Mac. It is just the wating that kills.... I will be looking at weeks more than likely until I see another powerbook because of the delay cused by the updates coming any day now... oh well.. it is well worth the wait. :D
  21. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    Yeah tell me about it :/

On the subject of RAM, is MemoryToGo.com any good? They are about $100 cheaper than OWC and about $200 cheaper than Crucial, for 2 1GB sticks.
  22. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003

I just checked Amazon and it said Shipped and then I clicked the tracking button and it said OUT FOR DELIVERY!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
  23. TIGERmac macrumors member

Nov 12, 2004
    That is awesome!!!

I wish Apple would ship mine. If I hadn't ordered the BT keyboard and mouse, I may have it by now. Oh well, good things come to those who wait...I think the BT option will be worth it.

Let us know when you get it, and I'd like to hear how it stacks up with your P4.

24. motherfather macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I too haven't owned an Apple since my Apple IIC in the late eighties.

I am very much looking forward to joining the fold. I just need to work out the kinks on what exactly I am going to order.