Just dont know what to do???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cold_Steel, May 4, 2005.

1. Cold_Steel macrumors member

May 4, 2005
    Glouscestershire, UK
    Hi all,

I have 2 questions that everyone comes across in their life when looking for a new Mac: 'Which model should I get?'

hmm...basically I am looking at the new PowerMacs. I have about 2K to play with here.
    Im stuck on either going for the dual 2.7 and not getting a monitor or RAM anytime soon due to really low funding after that!
    I could go for the dualie 2.3 and stick 2GB of RAM in it and then get the 20" monitor later on???

My 2nd question is this: The apps i use are Flash and Dreamweaver MX and some basic Office apps (Word, Photoshop etc) for my uni degree. Will a dual 2.3 with 2GB of RAM in it be enough for my uses or is it slightly overkill, likewise with the 2.7s.

Sorry about the longs questions there guys bt I am truely stuck here!

Regards, Matt
  2. TMA macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2003
    Well i'm assuming you qualify for student prices? Here's what I would do with 2k...

Dual 2.3Ghz G5 - £1,562.75
    20" Cinema Display - £505.25
    2 x 512mb RAM chips - £70 total.
    Total - £2138

I've overshot the mark just a little :/ You would probably be fine with an extra 1gb (giving you 1.5gb in total) if you ever need more you can add it at a later date.
  3. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    You can never go wrong with a lot of RAM. I would suggest the 2.3 with the RAM. I wouldn't worry about it being overkill. It never hurts to have too much power.
  4. Cold_Steel thread starter macrumors member

May 4, 2005
    Glouscestershire, UK
    I know but I dont if i would feel a bit crappy or 98% pleased if i knew i could have gone for the 2.7s???

Im like that you see and its my downfall i guess.

Cheers for the quick replies guys.
  5. hayduke macrumors 65816

Mar 8, 2005
    is a state of mind.

My logic is to always by the best of the non-upgradable features. Get the dual 2.7s. It comes with 512Mb of RAM if you find that that is not sufficient then you can add another 512Mb for ~$150 (US) (I think...). Regardless, you can't upgrade the CPUs, but you can always add more RAM.

-The Duke Is Loose-
  6. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Northeast, CT
    Its about $130 US at Crucial for a 1GB kit (512x2) I think the 512 kit is about $80 US or so.