Just downloaded a couple demos...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Perfusion, May 8, 2006.

1. Perfusion macrumors newbie

May 8, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Hi all... New Mac user here - 20" Intel iMac, 1GB Ram, 256MB Video Ram. I bought my computer mostly for internet, music, photosharing, etc., but do enjoy a good game now and then.

When I was younger, I was *really* into PC gaming. I quickly grew tired of all the hassles associated with PC gaming, though, and mostly just stuck with consoles (XB and PS2)... Fast forward a few years down the road to today, and I downloaded the demos for Call of Duty and Command and Conquer Generals.

I know, I know...two completely different styles of game. Not important. I like FPSs, but was willing to give an RTS game a shot as well. At any rate, Call of Duty ran just how I would expect it to run - like a *dream*. I maxed out all of the detail and sound just so I could see how far I can push the computer. It handled it with ease. Command & Conquer, on the other hand, ran *Sloooooooow.* Is this normal for the game? It was as if I was playing it on a 5-year-old PC, not a brand new iMac.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    No.. it's a demo after all and many demos don't have the optimization that an end result game has. Added to that, neither are probably universal, which means they have to run thru rosetta, which means further slow downs.

FTR, C&C:G (and Zero Hour) runs very well maxxed out on my G4 at home. I don't see while the final product wouldn't run as well (or better) on your MacTel.