Just downloaded Camino for Macintosh, couple questions ...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SandersHokie, Jan 28, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

Is this a good browser, over Firefox and Safari? also, does it do live RSS feeds?

anything i should know about it, such as extensions, etc?

thanks

2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I've used Camino for a long time. It is fast. It uses Gecko to render, just like Firefox. It doesn't have a built-in RSS reader but instead it passes feeds off to more capable programs like NetNewsWire or NewsFire (there's a free version of the former). The developers have longed believed this is a better alternative to a dumbed-downed built-in reader like Safari has, and I'm inclined to agree. However, I'm pretty sure you need to use a nightly build to have access to this feature, which you can get here. The nightly builds have other goodies too, like spell check.

There are a number of extensions available from PimpMyCamino, including ad blocking.

3. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Does not do RSS. It is a browser made by the mozilla corp so it is built of firefox technology. This means that it will open some pages that safari cannot. No extensions like the firefox browser. It has mac styling. One disadvantage is that the current release wont check spelling like firefox and safari, but the current beta will.

4. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

would you recommend it over Safari and Firefox?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would.

and its not built on the ff technology, the ff technology is built from it instead.
    its the only browser i use and its wonderful in my opinion.

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Have all three (and then some) installed on my PB and Camino is my primary browser. It's fast, simple, elegant -- and it works almost universally.

You can't lose by downloading it and trying it out for a few weeks. You'll only settle into a browser by playing around with several of them and seeing which seems most functional to you (and for your machine).

7. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

8. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

why do you need the nightly build to access NewsFire? i downloaded the free version and it works fine. i did d/l the latest night build of camino

9. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I have Camino on all three of my Macs. I've come to prefer it over Safari and Firefox. It is simple, fast and I have not had any problems with it.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Camino is sweet; I just wish it had a spell check.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

go get a 1.1 beta

12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Omniweb is my primary browser now, but not everyone wants to pay $15 for a browser. I liked Camino a lot, but it's not without its problems. I found that a number of sites have slight incompatibilities with Camino that eventually became annoying enough for me to stop using it. I still prefer it over Firefox (which did indeed come later, but is so much more well known at this point) but Safari is definitely more compatible.

To be honest, I've been using the nightly builds for so long I don't remember which features have made it into the latest release yet. So the RSS reader probably already has, but I'm pretty sure the spell check is still only available in the nightly builds.

13. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Camino 4 me

Camino is lacking a few things but seems fairly lean and speedy. I have dumped Safari until Apple is able to speed it up.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It does at least in the nightlies.

15. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

huh?

16. balofagus macrumors regular

I love Camino and it would be my main browser except it lacks one thing for me; Colour Management. If this were to be implemented it would be great. Until then, I am left with three alternatives; OmniWeb (and I don't want to pay for my browser), IE for Mac (which stunk and is now discontinued) and Safari (which is Colour Managed but oddly renders images with the display profile as apposed to sRGB when they are untagged).

I do use Camino in several circumstances where Safari totally screws something up.

17. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Sorry off-topic are you British

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Canadian - says so in the location field.

It's not just the Poms who spell colour correctly. ;)

19. Cruzn15 macrumors newbie

If Camino offered a decent implementation of Greasemonkey scripts (Firefox has Greasemonkey extension and Safari had Creammonkey) and Google Suggest (or something similar to Inquisitor) in the search bar, I would make it my primary. But I'm still stuck in limbo between Firefox and Safari+Inquisitor+Saft.

20. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I love it. I use it for most of my browsing seeing as safari... kinda sucks :/

anyways I definately suggest visiting pimp my camino, the user agent plug in is very very handy. :p

21. iPowers macrumors 6502

If you are an intel user, or a user with a lot of ram for your mac, I say it is really good.

It is close to safari.

It is faster than Firefox. Just realise you can't add extensions and themes of that I know of yet. The thing that is stupid is that if that were added, Camino and Firefox would be almost the exact same thing even though the coding to make them aqre different.

22. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

23. indiean macrumors member

I switched to Camino from Firefox, and it's great. Just make sure to check out Pimp My Camino, as other people recommended, as there are a couple extenstions that make your browsing experience definitely better (such as Camino Session).