Just downloaded FireFox and......

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fuijin, Sep 13, 2004.

1. fuijin macrumors newbie

fuijin

i clicked on the dmg file and the fox icon just keeps popping up in my dock, i cant force quit, i cant eject the drive. WTF? please help

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is a problem with certain damaged .dmg files. The latest Firefox 1.0RC2 is not damaged. Download that disk image instead. For future reference, import the damaged disk image into Disk Utility. You will be able to mount even a damaged disk image from within Disk Utility.

3. fuijin thread starter macrumors newbie

fuijin

link for the correct dmg file? please

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

There's another possibility. If you've ever installed Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix before, then you've got an old profile on your computer. Since Firefox is still in beta, they've felt no need to keep profiles compatible from version to version. This can cause the symptoms you've observed.

How to fix:

1) Copy the "bookmarks.html" file from your current profile into somewhere safe - your documents folder or desktop for example. This can be in any number of locations; some possibilities are ~/Library/Phoenix, ~/Library/Firebird, ~/Library/Firefox, ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

2) Delete all existing profile directories for Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix.

3) Run Firefox, then once it's done launching quit the program. Copy your backed-up bookmarks.html file into your newly-created profile directory - overwriting the existing bare-bones bookmarks.html file that was created for you.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can find it at http://www.mozilla.org