Just dropped and damaged my MBP what did you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesw, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Jamesw macrumors member

6AM in the morning and I dropped by MBP onto hardwood floor from a regular desk height. There is deformation on the right side just the base (not the screen part of the right side) The plastic grey part is damaged as well as the top metal (speaker) and side. Kinda dissapointed but not so angry, just have to move on, nothing stays perfect forever.

Have any of you ever damaged or dropped your MBP or any laptop for that case. What did you do and what did Apple or whatever type laptop you own do.

Thanks - James.

2. jamone80 macrumors regular

first, i would get really angry and blame someone near by. then i guess just check to see if it still runs. sorry to hear that man.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I dropped my old laptop, I was suprised that the whole screen didn't snap off. There's a weird bump in the corner of the LCD, but it still works, so I don't care. It's an old dinky HP, if you're wondering. They didn't do anything, because I didn't ask them to. I dropped it, it was my fault.

4. viperguy macrumors 6502

Probably Apple care won't cover it...
    I doesn't cover anything lol... It's funny how 99% of the bad things aren't covered by ac... not saying if I agree with it or not... just comenting what came to my mind now xD

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've never dropped anything expensive in my life, I'm way too careful. Although I have REALLY messed up my power adapter on my iBook G4 by tripping on it several times therefore causing it to get deformed and make me bring out the pliers to fix it, I'm surprised it still works at all. If the same reaction held if I dropped my laptop it would be "OH SHOOT" then I'd try to fix it and hope it still works, then I'd forget about it if there were no signs that it happened (which is the case for the power adapter)

6. Dubba macrumors regular

I have indeed - many times, in fact.

The first time was dropping my NEW (at the time) 12" PowerBook on my NEW hardwood floor in my NEW flat... boy was I annoyed with myself!!!

The second was rushing out the door, with my bag over my shoulder, shoes in one hand, and the same PowerBook in the other hand. As I left the landing of my flat, I dropped it done three stone stairs, resulting all four corners (luckily, on the base, not the screen) being dented, and a HUGE gash on the lid.

The third time was actually on the same day as the second... on the flight to Germany, one of my work colleagues accidentally spilt Diet Coke on it. After holding it upside down to drain all the fluid it, I looked like a moron as I held it up to the air flow vents in the plane for a few minutes. Upon landing, I rushed to the hotel and attempted to dry it with a blow dryer... it didn't turn on for a few hours, so after drowning my sorrows that evening wit ha few pints, I thought I would try it one more time before calling it quits, and it worked - voila!

I guess I am lucky; interestingly though, I have had a few problems with it though (to no one's surprise, I am sure!): 1) Defective logic board replaced twice (before the first incident, before anyone comments!) and the most recent a defective comboDrive (which I admit might be because of one of the last two incidents).

In any event, Apple Care is replacing my 12" PowerBook with a NEW 15.4" Mac Book Pro (just waiting for delivery!) because of the number of times it has gone in for repair. However, I plan on selling it and putting the proceeds towards a 17"