Just finished 1st player Metroid Prime Hunters

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mavimao, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

...and I have to say, it was so-so.

(WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!)

I thought the game was great when I first started it. The first two bosses were nicely conceived. I got stuck in a few places... I pushed through. The 3rd and 4th boss were repeats. OK... I finish all the 4 planets and then...oh wait, I have to go back over all 4 again? OK, granted the later levels were expansions of the 1st four levels, but I would have liked a little more imagination. Especially when half of the levels are ice levels, and another half are space stations, and there are only 2 bosses rehashed over and over with the cliché planet explosion countdown finishing each level. I am only 70% complete and I may go back and try to scan what I am missing, but it's not that huge of an incentive to pick up the adventure mode again.

Other complaints I have are lack of decent enemies. This game is advertised as being more about combat than exploration, and the multiplayer definitely shines in this respect, but the adventure mode is just a bunch of robots spaced here and there. Wow. Shoot a few missles and their done. The bounty hunters are a decent challenge, but all you need to do is to get into morph-ball mode and hit them with some bombs and they're down.

Conclusion: single player mode is decent, but not exciting or imaginative. The multiplayer is great, but like many online experiences, you need to be really good at the game to excel. Otherwise, you just get fragged spawn after spawn.

(PS: does anyone else notice parallels between this game and the original Unreal? Especially the plants that give you powerups and the game design?)

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Dude how about a spoiler alert?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it's amazing to say this is the first real handheld FPS, crammed onto a 64mb cartridge. IIRC it's a fraction the size of the original Unreal. They've done well considering. Sure it's no GC Metroid Prime, but this is a massively underpowered handheld.

I suppose the enemies had to be made to consider that not everyone will be able to control the game initially. It's the first of it's kind (we won't speak of Rogue Agent). I can imagine enemies getting more complex in future handheld FPS games, to match those found in Prime games.

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Agreed, I think this is a pretty great accomplishment considering the hardware nintendo has to work with right now.

5. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Oops! Sorry about that! Changed now!

6. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

No, I agree that graphically, the game is amazing! It really shows what the DS can do 3d wise.

And let's do hope for better FPSes in the future!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I got bored very quickly with it. didn't like it at all.

i loved metroid prime 1 & 2 on gc.

8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I played the Adventure Mode for a whole hour before I figured out how to play the multiplayer game against bots. Haven't touched it since.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed..It got boring really fast and I haven't finished it....I really got it because wifi but thats not even happening so it has been all for nothing.

Bless

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lets have a game. I'm free 24/7 until Friday. name a date/time and I'll be there. lets get that idyllic 4 player going!

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^You know I'm always up for a game but I never see this long list of MR players we got here:D ..Thats why its getting harder for me to buy starfox..I won't lie but I'm having better online play with SOCOM and SP: DM.

Bless

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

My number one request for Nintendo is for them to make a 2D Metroid game for the DS. I love the 3D ones, but I just think the 2D ones are slightly better.
    My dream seemed to be coming true when I heard about Metroid: Dread, but now I'm not to sure after seeing this. I loved the graphics of Fusion and Zero Mission on the GBA, (especially on my Game Boy Micro), so a DS version wold look amazing, if Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are anything to go by.