Just finished CoD: United Offensive...

Discussion in 'Games' started by oingoboingo, Jan 6, 2005.

1. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    ...on the 'Hardened' difficulty setting. I was wondering if anyone else finished the final mission in the trainyard by spending most of their time cowering under the train carriages, momentarily darting out to blow up a tank with the 88mm gun, letting the Stukas take care of the last 2 tanks for you (bad German pilots?), and then retreating back up to a small little niche in the wall near where your platoon initially enters the level and sheltering there like a crying girlie-man while the 2 minute reinforcement timer ticks down.

I did! Even after slaying all 5 tanks and the APC many times, I could never survive the 2 minute countdown period when the German troops overrun your line without getting mowed down while reloading or switching weapons. All in all I seemed to spend more time using the F5/F9 quicksave keys than the actual game control keys, but overall I thought the United Offensive was a good expansion pack...at least as good as the original.
  2. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    hmm... I should finish that at some point... I'm still in the early-ish Russian missions.
  3. trailblazer macrumors member

Aug 27, 2004
    i also cowered under the train carriages.
    unreal expansion/game.
    couldnt have asked for anything more.
  4. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    I ended up at the end of the platform with a small collection of firearms. I ran out of ammo at the end so had to resort to clubbing soldiers hoping a niper wouldn't pick me off. I loved the game, even bette then the original.
    I also found despite the graphics improvements it ran better as well. All in all a great port :)
  5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I beat it, except that I took out the last two tanks with the 88 (didn't know that the Stukas would help there). I died MANY TIMES on that level, escpecially since with my current machine the FPS dropped into single digits quite a few times. I used the 88 and then hid behind the sandbags on the flatcar right behind and to the right of the 88 when the Stukas came. The time I finally beat it the 2 minute countdown started, I had a sliver of health left and one clip for my Gewer 43 as I cowered behind the sandbags. I somehow managed to kill 3 germans without dying and was getting shot at by a fourth when the level ended. I want to crank up the difficulty but I'm going to wait until I get a G4 upgrade so I can increase the detail settings AND get better FPS. :)
  6. iRobert macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I'm still in bastogne... ill prolly will be there for a while, little gametime :)
  7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    That's where i am too.

It really is a gr8 game, but some levels are uneblievalbly tough.... (maybe I'm not such a good FPShooter afterall... :( )