Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Ok, so kind of on a whim I purchased this iPhone4 off of eBay.
Here's the auction link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-4-8GB-Black-Sprint-PLEASE-READ-AD-FIRST-/170965828589?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=LZ%2B3mgbCE1kzCuz%2BfKAsRtvyjmo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Based on what the description says, do you believe a simple DFU restore might 'fix' this one? If not, what would you speculate is wrong with this iPhone (taking into account the description may not be accurate- but for argument's sakes, let's say it is...)?

It is, "out of delivery" so I should have it later this afternoon.
Photos along with any update to follow. . .

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If it was as simple as a DFU restore he would have done it himself and sold it for more.
Its a risk, it could be anything from water damage to any other hardware issues.
Also its a Sprint CDMA iphone 4 so good chances are its blacklisted.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If it was as simple as a DFU restore he would have done it himself and sold it for more.
Its a risk, it could be anything from water damage to any other hardware issues.
Also its a Sprint CDMA iphone 4 so good chances are its blacklisted.
Bingo. Based on the seller's feedback, he's no stranger to iPhones. I'm betting on a botch hack/mod attempt.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Bingo. Based on the seller's feedback, he's no stranger to iPhones. I'm betting on a botch hack/mod attempt.

I'm betting a hardware issue, the reading the other auctions this seller knows his/her way around an iPhone and knows how to put something in DFU and restore.

Buyer is going to be disappointed. But I hope I'm wrong.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'd bet $$$ it's hardware related. If this seller can't do a DFU restore I'd be shocked.

It is extremely rare to get a "deal" on a serviceable iPhone. That's why in 9 of 10 cases you're either better off buying a certified pre owned from a reputable source, or a refurb straight from Apple for the extra bucks.

This has "relist" written all over it...

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Ok, iPhone arrives and I start out to think it may be a possible score.
Couple of quick photos, out of the box:
IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

I plug it into my iTunes (latest update on an iMac) and get the dreaded (yet totally expected):
IMG_0413.jpg

iTunes tells me this iPhone needs to restore, so I do so. . .

IMG_0414.jpg

Times passes.
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg

And right when I think it just might work out and oh, so easily(!), I get this:
IMG_0417.jpg

There may be more to try. I'll be looking around these forums for possible answers, but so far, it's a no go.
:(

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Try using Redsn0w or TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery.

EDIT: And if that still doesn't work, I'm pretty sure you can easily get your money back, all the device needs is a good main board. As long as the other parts are good you could make more parting it out and selling them individually.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
I'll try this!
The good news is I need to glass, front and back, for my iPhone4S- worse case scenario.
(I think this will fit/work?)

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
^
I'll try this!
The good news is I need to glass, front and back, for my iPhone4S- worse case scenario.
(I think this will fit/work?)

It's relatively to take the mainboard in and out of the iPhone 4S. But I hope that kicking it out of recovery does the trick.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Ok, iPhone arrives and I start out to think it may be a possible score.
Couple of quick photos, out of the box:

I plug it into my iTunes (latest update on an iMac) and get the dreaded (yet totally expected):

iTunes tells me this iPhone needs to restore, so I do so. . .

Times passes.
ImageImage

And right when I think it just might work out and oh, so easily(!), I get this:

There may be more to try. I'll be looking around these forums for possible answers, but so far, it's a no go.
:(

I'm sorry to hear that. Keep us updated.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
So, went out with a few friends and honestly, checking Google while a bit tipsy is probably ill advised, but I did so as this has taken on a whole new level of challenge.
After trying the above without success I have taken to watching YouTube videos.
(One has me going into my host file via GO > /private > host, and editing out the last line. Did so, nothing changes...)

The quest continues.

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Just spent a few minutes with Google found this thread which may be of use. Looks like error code -1 will be a hardware issue, might not be fatal as described in the thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3416793?start=30&tstart=0

May help you.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Error -1 means that it is a hardware problem. I had the error happen to my iphone 4s. I went to the apple store and got it replaced under warranty .

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
After messing around with various tools I now get the 1601 error. I also think, as Pwnage Tool keeps pointing me in that direction, the firmware installed is, Installous 4.4.1 and that can't be good.

All else fails I will set up a Genius appointment, just to see what my options are.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Alrighty then.
I thought I was on to something when I attempted this:
IMG_0418.jpg

Which led me to this:
IMG_0419.jpg

It looked like then I could option click while clicking the restore on iTunes thus allowing me to choose the firmware but each and every single one of my options wouldn't load into iTunes and when I released the option key and simply clicked 'restore' with iTunes in went through its procedure and ended with a 1601 error.
(I had already replaced the USB cord.)

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Alrighty then.
I thought I was on to something when I attempted this:

Which led me to this:

It looked like then I could option click while clicking the restore on iTunes thus allowing me to choose the firmware but each and every single one of my options wouldn't load into iTunes and when I released the option key and simply clicked 'restore' with iTunes in went through its procedure and ended with a 1601 error.
(I had already replaced the USB cord.)

That error if I recall is from when the iTunes server won't validate the firmware.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hardware failure. You can report not as listed as the phone is broken, not outwardly visible, but internally. Or take a chance with the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.