Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I had two on my 6S+ made an appointment and still had to wait an hour to get seen. At first they wanted to replace the screen and make me come back in an hour but I wasn't gonna wait since I already waited that long so he gave me a white box replacement. Don't even think they have any refurbished units yet for the white boxes.
But you didn't have to wait, you can simply give them the phone, and do your other business looking around the store and come back an hour to pick up?

That's what I would have done with mine if I had issues with the screen. Simply just get the screen serviced and still walk out with my original phone that still matches the serial number on the box.

But then I even wonder if they have screens for the 6S/6S Plus available at the store for replacements?

Scarphac3

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
But you didn't have to wait, you can simply give them the phone, and do your other business looking around the store and come back an hour to pick up?

That's what I would have done with mine if I had issues with the screen. Simply just get the screen serviced and still walk out with my original phone that still matches the serial number on the box.
Yes I know, I was just frustrated already because of the wait I already had. If I didn't have another option I would have just drove home and came back after an hour.

I don't think they even have any replacements screen I think thats why he just went ahead and gave me the white box. He was hesitant at first saying those are for major problems only but ended up giving in.

Last edited:

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
I had two on my 6S+ made an appointment and still had to wait an hour to get seen. At first they wanted to replace the screen and make me come back in an hour but I wasn't gonna wait since I already waited that long so he gave me a white box replacement. Don't even think they have any refurbished units yet for the white boxes.
Wow, I'm surprised they offered you that a week after release. Honestly if everything else about the phone was good, I would've definitely taken the screen replacement over a whole new phone. So much easier.

Scarphac3

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
Wow, I'm surprised they offered you that a week after release. Honestly if everything else about the phone was good, I would've definitely taken the screen replacement over a whole new phone. So much easier.
They were going to give me a screen replacement at first but he went to the back and checked and then he was like I will just give you a replacement one. He said these are new as they don't even have any refurbished units yet. It wasn't a big deal to me since everything is perfect on the replacement.

th3r3ds0x

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
I think everyone should try being a little less critical of their devices. I'm not saying everyone shouldn't expect or deserve a flawless device but a lot of the issues people post about would likely go unnoticed by anyone not specifically looking for flaws. My iPhone 6s+ might have a slight gradient near the right lower edge of the screen caused by uneven backlighting. It's so slight that I probably wouldn't have noticed it without seeing a thread on here then examining my device very closely. Other than that my phone has been flawless, and I'm not going to bother returning it for a phone that might have a real issue. Everyone enjoy their cool new phones and stop looking for reasons not to.

rp39

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I think everyone should try being a little less critical of their devices. I'm not saying everyone shouldn't expect or deserve a flawless device but a lot of the issues people post about would likely go unnoticed by anyone not specifically looking for flaws. My iPhone 6s+ might have a slight gradient near the right lower edge of the screen caused by uneven backlighting. It's so slight that I probably wouldn't have noticed it without seeing a thread on here then examining my device very closely. Other than that my phone has been flawless, and I'm not going to bother returning it for a phone that might have a real issue. Everyone enjoy their cool new phones and stop looking for reasons not to.

I don't think this is fair to say. I can't name another electronic device by any company that I have bought that always seems to have defects. It's like I'm gambling if I get a good one. The fact that Apple touts their quality with Jonny Ive videos makes it even worse when my screen is messed up. Apple has nobody to blame but themselves if I return my phone and demand a defect free replacement.

th3r3ds0x

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
I don't think this is fair to say. I can't name another electronic device by any company that I have bought that always seems to have defects. It's like I'm gambling if I get a good one. The fact that Apple touts their quality with Jonny Ive videos makes it even worse when my screen is messed up. Apple has nobody to blame but themselves if I return my phone and demand a defect free replacement.

Well it's not as if the 10 million people that bought iPhones over the past week are all posting about issues on this forum. Let's say 1000 people post about issues on here. What percent of 10 million is that? I don't think these devices have anymore defects than anything else. Gadget geeks like ourselves tend to post and follow info on these things more than people that may buy a blender. Again I'm not saying everybody doesn't deserve a perfect device, for 1000$ I know I sure would. It just seems like people looks for flaws so much that even something extremely trivial that won't hinder the experience at all is worth freaking out about. My screen issue would see some folks returning their phone but it's not even noticeable unless you load a pure white screen and stare at the phone. Seeing as that's not how I use the phone it's not really an issue. If I hadn't specifically checked for it after reading about it I wouldn't know about it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Well today was going well until I found a dead pixel on my launch day 6S Plus :(

It's in the top left of the screen below the signal strength indicator.

Would this issue get the phone replaced if I went to an Apple Store? If so is it worth bothering yet or are stocks non-existent?
You are within the remorse period: get it replaced

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Well, I wouldn't even noticed a gradient, but a dead pixel is something I don't want on my iPhone

Reactions: th3r3ds0x

rp39

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Well, I wouldn't even noticed a gradient, but a dead pixel is something I don't want on my iPhone

I returned mine to the Genius Bar since I didn't want to fight with the carrier store. The one I got had another dead pixel. I didn't notice it there. I'll live with it for now as it seems less noticeable than the one I returned.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I returned mine to the Genius Bar since I didn't want to fight with the carrier store. The one I got had another dead pixel. I didn't notice it there. I'll live with it for now as it seems less noticeable than the one I returned.
I'm sure down the road you can take it to the apple store and ask for a screen only replacement as they do that. But I think right now they don't have the screen only as a replacement for the 6S/6S Plus yet.

rp39

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I'm sure down the road you can take it to the apple store and ask for a screen only replacement as they do that. But I think right now they don't have the screen only as a replacement for the 6S/6S Plus yet.
Yeah, I'll probably do that. I'm fine with the replacement though since my home button is quieter on this one. It was really loud before.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
@OP, the phone is less than two weeks old, so you can just take it back for a full refund for any reason you want - ie. you can get a new, sealed iPhone 6s Plus.

Why on earth people are making appointments is beyond me. Just return the phone, buy another. I did it last weekend to swap a 6s Plus for a 6s. Took me maybe 10 minutes for the whole process.

They were going to give me a replacement in a white box so I said I wanted new sealed unit or I would just get a refund and buy another one new so they said okay no problem.

This guy knows.

Reactions: Cergman

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I do have to admit that I've had a few overly obvious defects on my iPhones. Like dead pixels, DoA, extremely scratched... Where I've never had a defective phone with another OS yet.

I chalk this up to the fact that I buy more iPhones than any other brand/manufacturer. I also never have bought first batch phones, except with iPhones.

Apple always does right by me though, so I can't really complain.

Reactions: freedomisle

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Wow you are really unlucky about this.
I've yet to see an iPhone with any dead pixels

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
I do feel sorry for people with these faults, the only time I have had an issue straight out of the box was when the actually wall plug section itself on my Retina MacBook was faulty. But that was replaced quickly and even if I had to wait I could have just used the extension lead of my pro. These faults which occur year on year, with the mass production target numbers/ demand versus Apple's criteria for acceptable devices/improved manufacturing equipment to be shipped are we seeng an increasing or decreasing number? My start thread for that one.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Wow you are really unlucky about this.
I've yet to see an iPhone with any dead pixels

I've had an iPhone 5s and 6 with dead pixels. I've had another 6 with massive scratches on back right out of box. Then I bought another 5s because I'd been so frustrated with the 6, that one was DoA. So I returned it and was using my 5c for a little while. Then Cyber Monday came, got $100 off iPhone 6 with T-Mobile. That 3rd one was perfect.

My 5c so far had been the only iPhone I've bought that was perfect. The 6s I own now was almost perfect. It had weird lag and heated up in the beginning but I chalk it up to some kind of syncing or background service. It is acting just fine now. It may end up with lag again when I upgrade the OS eventually. I'll deal with it then.

I've had great luck with iPads. My iPad Mini 3 and Air 2 were both perfect out of box. I'm very happy with both. =)

Reactions: Eileen89

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My unsolicited opinion (lol):
Sometimes you just have to wait. Apple Store has the best CS in the business. I realize everyone thinks their time is incredibly valuable, but waiting isn't going to kill you. Be happy you aren't required to send the phone in like you are with 99.999999% of all other technology. In most cases you get a working phone handed to you within minutes to a couple hours of dropping it off. Let's not give reason for people to call us the generation of entitlement.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've had an iPhone 5s and 6 with dead pixels. I've had another 6 with massive scratches on back right out of box. Then I bought another 5s because I'd been so frustrated with the 6, that one was DoA. So I returned it and was using my 5c for a little while. Then Cyber Monday came, got $100 off iPhone 6 with T-Mobile. That 3rd one was perfect.

My 5c so far had been the only iPhone I've bought that was perfect. The 6s I own now was almost perfect. It had weird lag and heated up in the beginning but I chalk it up to some kind of syncing or background service. It is acting just fine now. It may end up with lag again when I upgrade the OS eventually. I'll deal with it then.

I've had great luck with iPads. My iPad Mini 3 and Air 2 were both perfect out of box. I'm very happy with both. =)
My 6 had a stuck pixel (many don't seem to know the difference but it doesn't really matter I guess). It was literally one pixel in from the side and I didn't notice until six months later when I was streaming Netflix waiting in line one morning. Long story short, it didn't bother me enough.

Most manufacturers actually have this written into allowed variants, meaning it's not s valid service complaint. Apple is rather generous in this regard, if I do say so myself.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
My 6 had a stuck pixel (many don't seem to know the difference but it doesn't really matter I guess). It was literally one pixel in from the side and I didn't notice until six months later when I was streaming Netflix waiting in line one morning. Long story short, it didn't bother me enough.

Most manufacturers actually have this written into allowed variants, meaning it's not s valid service complaint. Apple is rather generous in this regard, if I do say so myself.

Mine were in obvious places like right towards the middle of the screen. Yeah, this slight lag initially when setting up or upgrading the OS is too minor a deal on my 6s. I don't like playing roulette with exchanges. You may get better or you might end up with worse. It's a new release, it's bound to have bugs. It's a price I've paid these last two years with being an early adopter. I think next year, I'm not going to be so hasty.

The 12th just happened to be my birthday. So this year I just couldn't resist!

Someone literally bought my 6 off me as we all were waiting for the pre-orders to start. So I managed to get sucked right in this year.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I dot understand why people are bothering with service appointments. They've only been out for a week. Walk in with your receipt, and exchange it. If there's no stock, return it and wait for more stock. Easy enough.

Was told on the phone I need an appointment even for an exchange.

I won't be letting them change the screen, I want a new device it's only a few days old. It will be within 14 days so think I am entitled to a replacement anyway.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just thought I would update everyone, phone has been replaced and screen seems to be perfect! Thanks for everyone's advice!

Also thanks to Sarah who recommended the Dead Spotter App, used it to check for Dead Pixels before leaving the Apple Store :)

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

Sarah Jones 799

Suspended
Sep 11, 2015
Just thought I would update everyone, phone has been replaced and screen seems to be perfect! Thanks for everyone's advice!

Also thanks to Sarah who recommended the Dead Spotter App, used it to check for Dead Pixels before leaving the Apple Store :)

No problem glad you got a defect problem free phone.
That dead spotter app is the number one thing I do on iPad's and iPhone's saves you another trip back to the Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.