just go knoppix to run on an old hp... it's in german!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by corywoolf, Mar 19, 2005.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    i spent 3 hours trying to run knoppix and finally got it to run, but its all in german. I am pist... please help me figure out how to change it to english. And I want to use it as a server for my house. can i do that with knoppix? I have 2 old comps from '98 and '00. I would hate to throw them away now. JUST STOP THE DARN GERMAN LANGUAGE FROM MAKING ME THROW THESE OUT AND GIVE UP!!!! please thanks in advance ;)
  2. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I haven't played with Knoppix for years, so can't answer your specific question. I suggest you doublecheck where you got it from. Knoppix is developed in Germany, so I guess its default is German.

But I'm not sure if using Knoppix is the best way to go. Knoppix is fine if you want to try out Linux, but it's isolated from the underlying filesystem and doesn't allow writing (or it was - like I said, I haven't tried it myself for years).

I suggest you download and install Mandrake instead which is generally accepted as one of the easiest for a beginner to work with.

I was going to suggest asking on a Linux forum, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I can tell you the response you would get - RTFM.
  3. simie macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2004
    It appears that you have downloaded the German version, go here and download the Knoppix-v3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    If for some reason the file seems different when you get there, notice the EN (=English). Very important characters. And perhaps not clearly explained on the Knoppix site. ;)