Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ModeMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
hi guys...
i'm really stoked that i got my new 17" PowerBook on friday.

but i'm kinda not happy right now.
i downloaded a bunch of stuff off limewire and installed some programs (yeah...i know, u can never trust stuff from there).

anywho...i'm just lookin' around in "system preferences" and all of a sudden...BOOM...i get that stupid see-through black screen that says to restart the computer in a bunch of different languages.

i KNOW it's gotta be because of the stuff i was downloading/installing.
i'd really like to have the powerbook again EXACTLY the way it was when i bought it: nice...clean...right off the shelf.

can someone please help?
it's really bugging me.

thanx a lot,
_chris

ModeMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
sorry for posting that twice
i didn't know which to put it in

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Your PB came with system restore CDs. Boot off the first one and follow the instructions to reformat.

Backup what you need before doing so, though.

ModeMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
actually...there's only one cd in the box.

is that ok?

_chris

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
That should be the CD. DVD actually. It should be a black DVD with a big grey X on it.

And that message you got was called a kernel panic. That happens when the software has conflict with the hardware and shuts itself down to prevent it from damaging the hardware. It's normal to get those in the first couple of days when you first use your computer; I did. And I always do when I reinstall my system from scratch.

There is no need to reinstall you system because of a KP.... just keep using it. If it happens again in the next couple of days, there is a possibility that you have bad RAM or optical drive or logic board.

Don't worry about it just yet.

Edit: checked you other thread.... the reason you didn't get super helpful replies is because people here at MR tend to look down on software pirating. You shouldn't do it, especially to small developers.

ModeMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
yeah i know...i feel bad about it...but i was just so anxious to get some cool proggies on my cool new laptop.

my bad :-(

anywho...i bought it on friday...and i have 14 days after that to take it back to apple (pasadena).

i really just wanna start fresh and do the right thing from now on.
with that...should i just reformat?

i want the comp exactly how it was when i bought it.

_chris

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Just insert the DVD into the optical drive, launch the installer that appears from the pop up window. Your computer will reboot, and then to to do a clean install you need to go up the Installer menu and open Disk Utility. Select you hard drive on the left hand side, go to the erase tab and click on the 'erase' button. Go back to the Installer and continue to reinstall the OS.

ModeMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
when my comp reboots...do i just wait till it boots all the way or do i have to hold a key down or something?

and how do i get to the installer menu?
_chris

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
ModeMAC said:
when my comp reboots...do i just wait till it boots all the way or do i have to hold a key down or something?

and how do i get to the installer menu?
_chris
Like i said in the previous post, have the cd in the drive and hold down C it will bring it up

i sent you a private message too

kyle

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
As was briefly mentioned above, such a Kernel Panic can potentially be indicitive of hardware issues. Often it's something as simple as the AirPort card being unseated, or bad ram... Just keep this in mind after your fresh install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.