JUST got a 360! finally! important question though...

Discussion in 'Games' started by charlestrippy, Dec 1, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    I just got an xbox 360 (yay) haha - anyway, my question - sort of like the whole "apple care" questions but--

enclosed in the box is an Xbox 360 Service Contract Invoice that projects the xbox360 for I think it said something about two years for under $60 --
    now, i've never had an issue with a console in the past - however, these newer ones seem more likely to hiccup...

my question is - is it worth the $60 to do the projection or is it unnecessary? Any opinions? any experiences?

All are welcome! :)

thanks in advance, MR!
  2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2004
    I would get it. Mine crapped out just out of warranty. Had to do the buy a new one and return the broken switheroo. Get it.
  3. KipCoon macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2000
    $60 isnt too bad, 10% a year basically. if you don't get it, at least get one of the coolers for it that strap to the back.

Room mate just baught a 360, got gears of war, neat looking game, a bit short, but plenty of eye candy in it :cool:
  4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    I have heard the coolers can cause more problems than they can solve - I may be wrong though. Mine is just well ventilated and the powerbrick is kept away from xbox it self
  5. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    The InterCooler (from Ryko?) does cause problems, because it attaches inline and powers itself off of the 360's power brick... which means the 360 isn't getting all of the power it expects, nor at the expected quality. If you get a cooling device, make sure it has an independent power supply.
  6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I think the warranty is worth it. $60 is not much to add 2 years of warranty to a $400 system. You have 90 days from the purchase date on your receipt to call Microsoft and buy it.
  7. gamerz macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2006
    ive had mine ever since it came out and it's still fine... just make sure it isnt in an inclosed space and it is better to put it on it's side... not upright.
  8. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Is it 90 days? I swear that when I bought my 360 in january that the card inside the box said like 2 weeks from purchase. I remember thinking about getting the warranty and I looked like a month after buying the 360 and it was too late.
  9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I called on the 89th day :)

I am of course speaking of the Microsoft warranty not a 3rd party warranty from Best Buy, Circuit City, or some place like that.
  10. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2006
    lol i do this all the time!:cool:
  11. paintballer macrumors regular

Nov 27, 2006
    I would definetly get it. There is someone over at the 360 forums that is on his 15th one and that would be alot of money if he didn't have the warranty. I got the warranty with mine and I'm glad I did because the fans have started to make grinding noises. I'm just hoping that mine won't die until they get the new ones out.
  12. technocoy macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    tell them to show you the proof. BS. I don't buy it. yeah these things have issues, but seriously. The odds are better you'd hit the powerball.

that being said, with the issues present, I would definitely buy the warranty extension.
  13. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    I didn't buy it. M$ has been extending it's warrenty because of heating problems anyway. Had mine almost a year, no problems yet, other than I think it's a little loud when playing games.

Oh, and I tried the Intercooler. It stopped working after about 5 minutes and caused my Xbox to start displaying a red light and stop working. I took it back and never bought another one. The Intercooler makes your Xbox360 sound like a blow dryer, or maybe I just got a loud one.
  14. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    Definitely worth it... I paid 140 dollars to get mine serviced and only got 65 dollars refunded. If I just paid the 60 dollars ahead of time, I would have gotten two years of warranty and saved myself. Now Im debating if I should get the warranty again because MS is allowing me to think it over until the end of this year. I probably will myself because my 360 is acting funny again.

And besides... it covers the controller too. My controller is going to need to be serviced sometime REAL SOON. The thing has been totally overused and abused...
  15. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Companies would not sell these additional warranties if they were not making money off of them.
  16. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    I just bought mine on Overstock (they have a 15% coupon now, better than their 12% off that they normally have.)

I don't think I'll get it serviced, but who knows. I'm hoping that most of the broken ones are the 1st Gen ones. The system has been out for over a year... I know it's M$ but I have to hope that they've fixed it.
  17. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
    eww yeah i heard alot of bad things about the intercooler, red lights, smoldering, discoloration, etc
  18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Heard on the radio yesterday that consumer's reports is launching a campaign to discourage extended warranties, as they are often not worth it. However, on a $400 system, better safe than sorry. Think of it this way. You buy the warranty and possibly not use it, or you don't and then your $400 system craps out and instead of just paying 60 for that warranty, now you have to buy a whole new system. I'd get it :cool:
  19. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    I am modding mine a little, so no warranty for me :)
  20. izibo macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2004
    You do realize that you are making zero sense. What CR is saying is that if you don't buy any extended warranties for the rest of your life, you will make more money. That includes the fact that you may have to shell out another $400 for an Xbox when it breaks, but the odds are in your favor.
  21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Yeah, but say we haven't been not buying extended warranties, and don't have another $400 to dish out. I know I don't.
  22. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    thanks for all the opinions - i ended up just doing it $60 vs $400 seemed like a "no braining" after thinking about it!
  23. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Come on, it's Microsoft. Would you really put it past them? :rolleyes:
  24. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Good man :D

25. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get it. Ours crapped out, but it was made in '05 so we're getting it fixed for free. The reason i quoted Jovian9 is because he has the sickest avatar picture I've seen. That's Contra and he has the cheat for it underneath. I LOVED THAT GAME!!!:D