Just got a call from apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rangerhall6, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Rangerhall6 macrumors member

Rangerhall6

I dont know if this is a normal thing that apple does or not but i just got a call from them and they were trying to sell me an iBook as hard as they could. They told me about the extra $100 on top of my education discount and all that. I told her that i was going to wait for the update and she asked me how long i would wait for an update and what i wanted to be in the update. Has anyone else had this happen? I was really excited about it b/c it has to mean they are trying to get rid of all their old iBooks for the new ones coming very soon! What do you guys think about this? Does this give me reason to get excited?

2. y0zza macrumors regular

3. Rangerhall6 thread starter macrumors member

Rangerhall6

It was on my cell phone and thats the number i put on my apple acount so i dont have any reason to belive that it was not apple.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It seems that if this was real that almost everyone on here (who has registered Tiger with their phone number) which includes myself, would have gotten this call. Seems fake to me, maybe a credit card scam.

Next time they call, pretend you are REALLY interested. They when she wants you to order it, just say you're on apple.com ordering it right now. If she saying something about welll noooooo order it on the phone...you know it's a scam. Why would apple rather you waste their phone minutes and order it on there and ask questions when you could go through the hassle-free online process.

Another thing to do is to call Apple and simply ask if they are doing this. They may thank you for letting them know that such a scam is going around or they may say "yes, we've starting bothering people on the phone now as well!".

-itasor

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I don't think its a scam. I have herd people on the forums talk about how they have recived phone calls from apple. Sometimes it becuase you have had an item in your checkout cart for a while.

6. Rangerhall6 thread starter macrumors member

Rangerhall6

ok, i just called the number back that called me about the iBook and it told me to call 1-800-MY-APPLE. I called them and i talked to them about it and figured out that it was them that called. Now that i know it was a call from apple what do you guys think?

7. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Very good work...this is a good sign. Oh boy..i really am in the market for a new iBook/Powerbook. Lets hope they are nice :cool:

8. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

I've gotten the calls on my cell phone before too..
    If they're unable to reach you, they'll call again..

I added a Powerbook to my cart and about a week later, they called me.
    I was given a rep with name and extension number who would deal with my specificly. She would answer any of my questions and i could even place the order with her...

That's customer service for you..

We won't get into details or stories about ppl with the tech support.. lol..

9. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I wish Apple would call me at home now and then. All we ever seem to get is double-glazing salespeople... :mad:

10. Sammis89 macrumors regular

The same thing happened to me about a week ago, and said he saw that i had been looking at Powerbooks and wanted to know if i was ready to buy one, because he could "Find ways to save you more money on top of the education discount" and then he sent me an email with contac information.

11. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

They called my cell twice in one day.

The first time they left a message and then they called back 10 min later.

Wanted to sell me apple care for my mac mini.

Told them there care sucked and to kindly stop calling me.

12. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I'd like to see a significant price cut on the base ibooks...$999 cut down to $799 would be sweet. I don't suppose there's much of a chance they would want to dump their inventory, though.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

if you have an apple account on their site, and you've recently run through a hypothetical computer purchase, they will sometimes call and ask you if you are still interested...

14. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

If they call again tell them that the only way you will buy is if Steve Jobs personally takes the phone order. Hell, he might actually do it! :p

15. Rangerhall6 thread starter macrumors member

Rangerhall6

Haha, ill try that one next time they call.

16. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna put something in my Apple Store cart and see if Apple calls me and wants to offer it for less money...

17. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Had something similar happen to me about 2 months ago.

I had a PB in my cart. Some guy called and asked if I was still interested in purchasing it. I told them I was, but that since Tiger was coming out soon that I was thinking of waiting. I tried to get him to give me a discount so that I could use the money saved to buy Tiger later, but no go. He did say that he was gonna email me with all his info (which he did) and that whenever I was ready to buy, to give him a call and that he'd handle everything.

About a month later, someone at Apple sent me a $30 off coupon.

18. evolutioneight macrumors member

It's easy. If you want to talk to Apple, go to their store and add a loaded 17inch powerbook and a loaded highend powermac to your shopping cart. If you've ever bought things from the store online before they have your # and they'll give you a shout in a few days. I was just putting together my dream set up with dual 30inchers haha and they thought I was actually interested.

19. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I've never received a phone call . . . BUT I do have an iBook G4 and an iMac G5 20-inch 2.0 gHz with an extra gig of RAM from Crucial. Does that count for anything???? :D :D

20. UTB_Avid macrumors member

Glorified sales reps the lot.

21. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Yeesh ... I sometimes just build the most expensive system I can for fun ... thank God I didn't give them my phone number yet!

22. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It looks like Apple is out trolling for laptop customers, this is indeed a very good sign of an coming iBook update, all signs seem to be pointing towards one. Did you have items in your cart at apple.com/store? or was this just a sales call out of nowhere?

23. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I had a friend save a custom Powerbook as to his shopping cart @ the Apple.com Education store. He got a call within a few days asking what they could do to help him make his purchase.

Needless to say, they weren't willing to just mail it to him and forget the bill. ;)

24. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

My cart is full, but still no call from Apple yet.

25. elbennet macrumors member

Me too

I just got a call a few days ago about an iMac, so it's not just the laptops. The next day I got an email from them too with the rep's name and extension number.

It did kind of creep me out at first, so now I feel better that it happened to other too :)