1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Just got a cheap iBook.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pvmacguy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

So I just bought an iBook for really cheap off craiglist and it has a little issue. The HDD was just replaced because the original failed. Upon booting it fully booted and then on the desktop it blacked out. Held power button down and booted again. Ran for 5 minutes then went black. I have reset the pram nvram and pmu but hasn't seemed to do it much good. Any ideas? Im thinking the logics on its way out.

2. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Well, I think I have it settled. The battery seems to be the culprit as to why the screen would just randomly go gray. I have been running it without the battery and it seems to be fine. It has only done it once while running without the battery but I was really taxing this little thing running like 6 or 7 applications see what it could handle.

3. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Well the logic board has failed on the little machine but I was able to pick up another one on ebay for 75 bucks tested working. :)

4. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

It was more than likely the GPU - the iBooks had issues with the GPUs actually coming off the lobo.

5. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Oh wow! Well I prepped the ibook today to get ready for the new logo board but found the metal frame was compeletely cracked in 6 different places and was also missing many screws from a previous botch repair job. :mad:

6. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

So I'm waiting on the logic board to come in, I plan on using thermal paste on the processor etc. I know less is always best so I plan on going really easy with the stuff. Any other tips you guys have?

7. macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Brace the cracked case. Internal integrity will prevent things working loose. You're right about the paste, use it sparingly. Also, as I have found from replacing a Toshiba laptop's HDD, double-sided tape does not solve the issue of missing screws.

Also, check the health of the power brick. Make sure it's not getting overly hot. Dad's brick seemed fine, just a little more warm then average, for about a month before it failed.

8. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Thanks for the reply. :) I did order a whole new metal chassi so those cracks won't be a problem anymore. And also a
    whole new screw set for the missing ones. For the thermal paste right
    to the bottom of the CPU there is large
    black chip, should I put a small amount on and
    spread to cover the entire chip or put a small amount on and spread it out a little?

9. macrumors 6502a

wow! how much is this iBook now costing you? good on you for being dedicated, i hope it performs as you expect.

10. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It'll cost me about $166 bucks... And it will be fine for the gf because she just facebook's and does school work.

11. macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Try to keep the paste off the pins of the chip, keep it to the plastic surface.

12. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

So I should apply the paste where the arrows are pointing and spread it out to cover? On the processor, should it cover the silver metal part or the whole thing? Just double checking things. :)

Attached Files:

13. macrumors regular

KielderWolf

On the processor, only on the silver bit, it'll be most efficient. Everywhere else, apply cautiously and spread evenly over the chips, being care not to get too much if any paste onto the processor board.

14. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Thank you! :) Got the new logic board in and everything speeds to be good, trying to install leopard through an upgrade disk from 10.4 but it hangs and stops don't know whats going on...

15. macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Can you identify which generation of iBook it is?

Models identified as "PowerBook4,3" and earlier cannot run Leopard (that is, iBooks produced before October 2003). "PowerBook6,3" can run Leopard, but only the 933MHz version and it'll run like a horse with no legs.

"PowerBook6,5" (April 2004) and above can run Leopard but again, it won't run amazingly. If I am completely honest, I'd just leave it with Tiger. Tiger was an amazingly advanced OS for it's time, superseded only by the Leopard family and a couple of flavours of Linux. I still don't think W7 comes close to it.

16. macrumors 6502

philipt42

If you or anyone has that issue (screen won't turn on) it's most likely the GPU - go here http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/?p=20

Three months later, my iBook is still working. It saved me a few hundred dollars.;)

17. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It is the later model with the 1.07 processor. And it's a little too late for tiger, I reformated the HD so it's gone... I think leopard will be fine especially just for web browsing, word docs, and iTunes.

18. macrumors regular

KielderWolf

I suppose. When you're installing Leopard though remember to customise out all the bits you don't want otherwise you'll loose GBs of space.

If it hangs during install and refuses to do anything then it may be an idea to try to source a Tiger disc. If however it works then I suppose if you're just using it for light recreational use then Leopard should be okay. Top the machine up with RAM to get the best performance, and you should be good to go.

19. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Yeah I pop in the disk and it goes to the apple the wheel spins then it goes to a blue screen and sits and hangs.. :confused:
    I wonder if the genius bar would be able to get it to install?

20. macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Aye they should be able to, but apparently the booking process takes forever. If it's hanging all the time, try using the disc to run the AHT and make sure there're no red flags.

Also, I do apologise but the black coffee I just drank is kicking in, and it's about to result in a random point that a disk is a diskette, such as your hard disk or a floppy disk, the platter is held in an enclosure. A CD is a disc, because it is round like, heh, a disc. Ha ha I'm sorry but I become a grammar nazi after coffee :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Haha there is a grammar nazi in all of us... I put the iBook in target mode and used my disk utility on my mini to make sure the HDD was formatted properly which it wasn't. Had to change it to GUID. Then was able to start the install in target mode from the mini and so far so good. :)

22. macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Should work using Target Mode. I hadn't thought of that. Firewire cables are inherently expensive for some reason over here so generally Target Mode is a £15 forage into the unknown ha ha.

23. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Well it finished the install through target mode, and I rebooted the iBook after install completed to get the happy finder face with the flashing question mark.

24. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

GUID partition map is for Intel Macs like your Mini. Format it for APM(Apple Partition Map) for PPC Macs.

You could also "clone" your Mini hard drive to the iBook but will only work if you format it(ibook HDD) to APM first.

25. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Ah thank you! But when I go and re-install os x now ill stick the CD into my mini and run the iBook in target mode, it will ask me to make the format GUID for the ppc. :confused: