Just got a dual2 g5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SuperVillain, May 30, 2005.

  1. SuperVillain macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 30, 2005
    #1
    Think i should have waited till wwdc?
    I know they just updated it, so there isnt anything more they would do to it right? :confused:
    think i should not open it until wwdc? it gets here tomorrow.
     
  2. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

    Mr Maui

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    #2
    I think you should enjoy your purchase. They will not likely be replacing the Dual 2.0 at the low end as they just updated the PowerMac line. If they do announce something new, it will likely be the top end only and will probably not remove the Dual 2.0 from the low end of the chain just yet. The Dual 2.0 is a great machine for nearly everything most people would have to do today. JMHO. :)
     
  3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

    keysersoze

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    NH
    #3
    Awww crack that bad boy open and have at it.

    Nothing likely at WWDC that would make you regret it. Have fun!
     
  4. beatle888 macrumors 68000

    beatle888

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2002
    #4

    why would you buy now? is it because you needed it and couldnt wait for a WWDC announce computer to ship? if you could of waited then you should have. its in a couple of days.
     
  5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2004
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    The PM line was just updated, theres not going to be a giant update if there is an update at all. I say crack open the box and have fun!
     
  6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

    slooksterPSV

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    Nowheresville
    #6
    Congrats on your purchase. I've seen WWDC for 2 years now (like know what's happened during it as with upgrades), so they just may upgrade the G5's to support PCI-Express (not PCI-X which it already has). Or they may toss in a brand new 512MB Video card or something for an upgrade. IF they even do upgrades, but I really doubt they will. Just have fun and go at it.

    I wonder if PB G5's will be released?
     
  7. jestershinra macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2004
    #7
    I guess I'd wait, as long as you'll be able to return the thing without penalty. Wait until WWDC, if they introduce anything, you'll get a nicer machine. I doubt they will, though...
     
  8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

    macbaseball

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Northern California
    #8
    I disagree. I agree with a previous post that if they do, do an update it ill effect the high end, and if there is any affect on the Dual 2.0, it will just be a price drop to the lowest slot.
     
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #9
    I know from experience, buyers remorse can be very painful. Unless you are going to do high end graphics work the 2.0 should be just fine. Like others, don't think they will do anything with the lower end. Just enjoy.
     
  10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

    beatle888

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2002
    #10

    well this is true. i based my post on needing the computer to make money with demanding media. however even an imac will be fine for the next four years doing basic computing...even longer.
     
  11. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Location:
    CA
    #11
    A dual 2.0 g5 is just what I want! I was thinking of buying this week, but I'll wait till next week for the one-in-a-billion chance that they will drop the price a little or update the single proc low end.

    But if I had a dual 2.0 in the box sitting on the floor next to me, I'd open that baby up and not think twice! :D
     
  12. sjpetry macrumors 65816

    sjpetry

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2004
    Location:
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    #12
    :rolleyes:

    Not gonna happen. Period.






    Sorry
     
  13. solvs macrumors 603

    solvs

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    LaLaLand, CA
    #13
    If you buy a Mac, and within 10 days there is a change or lower price, they will refund you the difference per their Price Protection. Enjoy that bad boy.
     
  14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

    slooksterPSV

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    Nowheresville
    #14

    Apple is full of surprises. You never know. If they don't this time, then in like 3 months they may. I know they bought a contract for G5 iBooks and Powerbooks.
     
  15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #15
    Just enjoy your purchase. If something new does come out the worst that will happen is you may have been able to save a bit on money on your recent puchase due to a price drop. Given that updates JUST came out and Apple took forever to do that, I do not think there is going to be an update of any major significance anytime soon. Enjoy the machine and hope you didn't get a chirper :rolleyes: ....
     
  16. SuperVillain thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 30, 2005
    #16
    That makes me feel better :D
    It was really a price drop that i was afraid of, cuz money is tight right now and i could use the extra money for a display :)
    Im using it for video editing and motion graphics, so im going to have to bump up the ram. too bad they dropped the max from 8 to 4 though :(
    and its not here yet, tomorrow is the due date.
    thanks everyone.
     
  17. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #17
    Keep in mind if you did a custom order config then you cannot return it... period. Even if there is something horribly wrong with it, if you did a CTO then apple will want you to just send it in for repair even if something is wrong out of the box :mad:
     
  18. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #18
    Congrats on the purchase of your new Mac. I doubt that there will be any PowerMac updates at WWDC ... bust it open and enjoy :D
     
  19. ATRAX macrumors newbie

    ATRAX

    Joined:
    May 17, 2005
    #19
    If anything I think they're replace the single 1.8 with a single 2.0.

    As far as the top end... what would top off the PM line really well?? 2.0....2.3.....2.7.....hmmmm?
     
  20. fanbrain macrumors 6502

    fanbrain

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2005
    Location:
    So. UT
    #20
    WHOOHOO!!

    Today I ordered a G5/2.0 from MacMall. It's the older more expandable version. Then I ordered a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition card and Klipsch Promedia GMX-5.1 (optical connection for true surround) to go with it.

    It will be a great improvement over my trusty refurbished iMac 500.
     
  21. iJaz macrumors 6502a

    iJaz

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2004
    #21
    I only understand half of what you are saying because I ordered an iMac with 400GB HD and returned it after a couple of days. However, I do understand that you will have to send it in for repairs, but the bit with not being able to return it sounds very strange.
     
  22. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #22
    Enjoy your 2.0!

    Even IF.... Apple did release an all new dual core 3.2 GHz QuadraMac XStation, those puppies are probably going to start at well over $3000.
     
  23. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #23
    Haha yeah it don't quite understand the policy myself. I talked to a genius in the store and called the 1-800-MY-APPLE line to see if I could get a replacement for my CTO computer and was told no. I guess the technical policy is if you get a CTO you are stuck with it no matter what. Apple will happily repair it if there are any problems but they do not have to give you a replacement. However, I was persistant on this issue and eventually pled my case to a kind and caring lady who talked a supervisor into letting me do an exhange. This time I just paid the difference and went with the standard Dual 2.0 config so if I have any troubles on this systems I will not have to argue as much. So there it is... the "technical" policy on CTOs that Apple does not want you to know haha.
     
  24. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

    slooksterPSV

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    Nowheresville
    #24
    Be sure to keep your 500MHz iMac, it may be of some use in the future - file server, backup for if your DP goes down. etc.
     

Share This Page