just got a macbook pro but have questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by piercehan, Feb 28, 2006.

1. piercehan macrumors newbie

hey i just got my macbook pro and i need some answers to some hopefully easy answers ...

does virtual PC work on the macbook pro?

also i am in HUGE need of a program such as EASY CD EXTRACTOR or something similar to it that allows me to encode my MP3 files and change a file that is say in constant bit rate of 192 to a VBR bitrate and allows me to change the name and file of the tags of the song ... thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Virtual PC doesn't work on Intel-based machines at this stage however future equivalents should be quite capable.

Have you tried iTunes for your MP3 work?

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

iTunes can re-encode MP3 files. THey don't make it straight forward but it can be done.
    First you make a standard audio CD andf then you rip the CD to the desired format. I assume you are converting to a lower bit rate so quality loss is not an issue

No, Virtual PC will not run on an Intal Mac. The closest I've seen is Windows XP running under VMWare on Linux on an Intel Mac.

I'd like to buy one of those Intel powered Macs too but I'm waiting for the software to catch up. Right now there is not much other than iLife that runs native.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Actually, rather than ripping CDs (and assuming the tracks have no DRM), simply converting them (Advanced menu) should suffice. Just make sure the Importing settings are what you want in the Advanced section of iTunes Preferences. :)