Just got a mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by briand05, Jul 9, 2005.

1. briand05 macrumors 6502

After getting really sick of the viruses, crashing, spyware, etc. of windows I decided to get a mini. So far it seems pretty fast, it definitely needs the extra RAM which I'm going to have installed soon. One thing that is significantly faster is browsing the web, IE would hang frequently or crash often, Safari is a much better experience. Personally I think it's better than firefox on Windows as well. It is so speedy it's hard to believe. When the new Intel mac come out I'm planning on probably getting one of the laptops. Text is a lot easier to read than on Windows.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Congrats! If we can be of any help let us know. You will soon become one with the "Collective". :D

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Enjoy your machine. I don't need another mac but am contemplating getting a mini because they are so cool.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Congratulations, briand05, on then new Mac purchase! What will you be using the Mac mini for?

6. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

How about a DVR? Thats what I want one for. Hook this sucker up to an eyetv 200 with the Mini Hard Drive add on and you got yourself one kick but entertainment center.

7. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Congrats on the purchase!

You'll love it.

Welcome to the community.

8. briand05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just for web browsing, using iphoto, itunes, maybe some imovie as well. Occasional word processing. Some photo editing.

9. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Nicely done, very good purchase you've got there.....enjoy it,

ShadOW ;)

10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

What model did you get? You should get rid of the 256MB and stick in 1GB.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Glad to hear you going to upgrade the memory.
    It should probably be sold with more.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

hey that's great that you got a mac mini.. you will like it.. just make sure to have the proc performance set to highest in the energy saver settings so at least you will get a small performance boost from what you currently got.. what apple does is set their computers to automatic when they are shipped.. :eek:

Attached Files:

13. briand05 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the 1.25/ 40 GB model, I will be getting rid of this 256MB soon in a week or so.

14. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

thats not even an option on a mac mini. they are a desktop system not a laptop. I have a mini and that stuff does not even show up in energy saver.

this is a laptop option and for some reason the imac G5 has it also (no idea why) but its the only dt that does. all desktops besides the imac G5 can only run at full speed.

15. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I am pretty sure my Powermac has it too. I thought all macs had it, laptop or not.

16. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Not there on my Quicksilver! It was there on my old iBook and I know it's on the iMac G5's. I think the person that posted that was correct. That is weird that the iMacs have it. Maybe because they are also the same form factor, meaning flat and thin, as a laptop is.

17. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Congrats and welcome to the cult of Mac. You'll be making fun of things like the BSoD and Longhorn release dates before you know it.

18. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

19. WeeShoo macrumors regular

You made a great Move, I just recently switched but Ive been working with Mac's and such at school, so Im not a n00b. If you have any question's feel free to contact me.