Just got a new 20" iMac G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by crazyeyes, Oct 5, 2005.

1. crazyeyes macrumors regular

I just got a new 20" iMac G5 monday night. I am wondering are there any suggestions that anyone may have for me. This is my first mac i come form the evil windows world. I know OS X enough to know the basics like expose, and stuff like that i just don't every little setting and stuff like i did with windows. So any advice for me as far as settings or anything?

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well first off congratulations on the mac. I recently just got a 20" also and I love it. The first thing I would recommend is to beef up the RAM. After that it all pretty much depends on what you want to do with it. If you use AIM I would suggest looking into Adium. You may also want to set the processor performance of the iMac to highest. It's under the options tab in energy saver.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

RAM indeed, and then just take care of your Mac

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

My advice, spend a while just 'playing' with the iMac, this way you can get a better feel, also read forums and stuff- you can learn alot from these.

Apple Mac OS X Page
    Has more information on Tiger and also downloads and what not.

Version Tracker
    Will have all updates for software that come out

Check out other mac sites aswell.

5. iGerald macrumors newbie

iGerald

Dont let iMac get too hot either.

I have already had some heat issues and logic board has been replaced.

Apart from that its a nice machine. :)

6. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

I have adium, and will setting the processor performance to highest hurt the computer as far as heat and overall life? Hey does anyone have the mighty mouse and how do they like it. I like the look of the standard mouse that came with it but it doesn't have a scroll wheel. I can't use a mouse without a scroll wheel. I have a wireless mouse hooked up now. Is it worth getting the Mighty Mouse just so i have matching Keyboard and Mouse, Or should i just stick with what i have? I wish the mighty mouse was clear like the mouse that comes with the computer. That would make it much nicer looking. But hey Apple design is amazing so i guess they knew what they were doing.

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Is your machine Rev.A or Rev.B?

My 17inch 1.8Ghz is due next Wedneday and the heating issue is starting to concern me again, even though I did quite a bit of research before buying.

(I'll have Applecare though - first ext. warranty ever for anything I've bought - doesn't say much for my leap of faith I guess).

8. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

iMac 20". Great choice! I love mine and your going to love yours.

9. Fender macrumors regular

Fender

I'd love to have one. They are gorgeous machines, and I love the quality of the display. Enjoy it, man. :cool:

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i have the same model, love it to pieces.

upgrade the RAM, mine is running with 1gig right now, more on the way this week.

do you use AIM? coming from windows, i reccoment losing the AOL client and getting Adium.

11. Fender macrumors regular

Fender

I'll second that.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

13. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

From what I've heard the performance setting on the iMac won't really hurt the computer. I've had it on highest since the day I've gotten it and haven't had any heating problems with it.

I also have the mighty mouse and I love it but if you're fine with you're current wireless mouse then I would stick with that. I would personally love a wireless mouse but being the perfectionist that I am I had to have it match. I know as soon as a BT Mighty Mouse is released I'll be all over it.

14. godbout macrumors regular

Congrats on the new comp!

What I would do is to tell us what you will be doing with your comp for example, do you check the weather, use an office suite, want a faster browser, watching movies, something scientific, creative, ANYthing you can think of. We can then tell you our fav. apps to handle the task. Also, picture your dream comp... what would it be able to do? Maybe we will be able to make it that much better for you...

15. godbout macrumors regular

Also, if you are really need a scroll wheel (don't like the arrow keys?) then I would just stick with your mouse that you are using... Don't bother with the Mighty Mouse... it is good but there are better out there...

And you should get another 512MB of RAM if you like to multitask... some would want even more... if however for some reason you don't like having loads of apps and windows open at the same time don't worry too much about it... you just spent lots of $$ so if you don't want to drop another ~150$ then it is understandable...

16. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

congratulations, and welcom!!! just have a lot of fun with it! i would get something to backup your data with (if you dont already have something) but that is just me, im ultra paranoid about backing up data. though since ive been a mac user (more than 3 years now) i have not had a catastrphic loss of data and have not needed to rever to any backups i have. but i know as soon as i stop backing up then something will go wrong, like a harddrive crash, which would be completely out of my control! but enough of my paranoid rambelings. id just get a good mouse with a scroll whell (mighty mouse looks really cool, but i havent tried one myself) there are some decent bluetooth mice out there that would be cool to have, just so you dont have to have any messy wires! (there are a dozen threads about BT mice) go have fun with your new iMac!!

17. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

its awesome when some1 gets the same as you have. my g5 is only a month old and i had had no previous experience at all with macs, im now prety confident i can handle it. obviously i must only use maybe 20% of what its capable of but im still in love. one tip is the help menus bars - they are full of great detailed info that can sort out also every problem u find (if any)

there is no way i would go back to windows, for one this the mac keyboard is addictive (one of a shedload of reason)

happy purchase.

18. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Well as far as what i will be doing with it. I will be listening to music alot, Web browsing, i would like to get into photoshop and final cut, but don't have a camera at the moment and don't have the funds for one right now. I do like to multitask have a bunch going at once. Also seeing as i would like to get into final cut and photoshop i am probably going to want to put another gig of memory in it i am guessing? That would put me at 1.5 GB which i think would be fine for anything i would ever need. Hmm i might use office a bit. I have Office 2004, Final Cut, and Photoshp CS i got these from school when i was out there. I already have adium, umm i would like to find some sort of compression program for burning dvd's, i like to back up the dvd movies i buy, it was easy to do on windows but i am not sure how i can do it on mac?

19. jmufellow macrumors regular

Here's how I back up my movies:
    1. rip with MacTheRipper
    2. compress and burn the Video_TS folder with Popcorn

That way it will fit on one single layer DVD...I'm not sure about double layer DVD burning nowadays :confused:

:edit: BTW, popcorn does cost $50, so if you can find an all-free way to do it go for it, but the above way is my preferred method