Just got a new iMac but...its loud

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac07, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Mac07 macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    Hello everyone. New to the iMac world. Took the plundge and bought a 20 inch iMac. One concern I have is the montior seems to buzz. In a quiet room its very annoying. Is this normal or should I take it back. It almost sounds like a speaker buzz. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Also if there are any cool things to do or apps to try let me know.
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    My iMac is very quiet. Use that free phone support and call Applecare and ask them what they think. I am sure the folks here will give you their experience, but the machine should not be making load noises. As for app.s, see if any of the iLife programs that came with the machine appeal to you. If so, start there. Everyone has their own list of things they like but I would get the stuff you use set up, and get comfortable with the machine, before I started adding a lot of other stuff. Best wishes.
  3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Mine is pretty much silent, give Apple a call.

As for apps, it depends what you want to do. I had a lot of fun playing with Photo Booth when I got my iMac.
  4. Mac07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    Mac Stores

Well. Called apple care. They said return it.

Went to the apple store, they tested it said it was normal. Said maybe it my outlet not grounded. They were very rude and just talked to me like I know nothing about computers. Horrible service:mad: . Being a first time mac owner i'm disappointed with the whole thing. I have apple care for 3 years so I should be set.
  5. BilltheCat macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2007
    Sanford FL
    My Intel 20" iMac is so very quiet I cannot tell sometimes it is on. Compared to the jet engine of a Dell I used to have that is!

Are you possibly hearing the dvd drive spin up, or the hard drive spinning down?

Interference in the area of the Mac? like acell phone on the same table/desk?
  6. Mac07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    The guy at the shop claims its the fan. To me it sounds like a low buzzing noise. Maybe I'm hearing things but my PC seems quieter. I wonder if there could be a ground loop in this room causing that noise, very similar to speakers "wine" when there is no media coming thru them. Maybe I'm just a noob :eek:
  7. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    You confused me. You took it to Applecare and they say nothing is wrong. But, then you say they told you it is the fan?
  8. compuwar macrumors 601

Oct 5, 2006
    Northern/Central VA
    Ask them to show you, and see if the same noise is on the display model, if not, then show them that?
  9. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    There were a few select iMacs 20/24" that make buzzing sounds. Not all of them do it. Just keep on eye on it and if it gets worse let them know. I think this is an intermittent problem if I remember correctly so it may be hard to get Apple Stores to do anything about it unless it does it in front of them.

With all do respect, the MacGenius' have no idea of a customers "experience" with computers. Everyone should be treated the same whether or not they're an "expert" with computers. Its the how they're taught to treat customers. So don't take offense if they over explain things or if they just made you feel like an idiot because they told you something you already knew.
  10. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

Sep 17, 2005
    Try taking it into another room in your house, or into your neighbors house. Just make sure they let you leave again with it :)
  11. Mac07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007

Well called applecare. The lady took me through couple different reboot and unplug this and that. Nothing helped so they said take it back.

Took it to the apple store. There is so much ambient noise there that its really hard to hear. The noise is very audiable in a silent room, but with other noise around it, you cannot hear it. They took the computer hooked it up and in the lobby couldn't hear it. Next he took it in the back, of course I could go with him. Came back and said the only noise was the fan and that is normal. Said they could replace it but its not the monitor but the maybe a ground loop in my house.

Came home upacked my imac, they left forgot the cable. :mad:
    Called them up and some great customer service guy told me "Sorry we are very busy here and we forgot?" They are too busy to make sure customers leave with the same equipment they came in with?:eek: So my first experience was not the best, but I like the iMac, just seems lound, but maybe its just the way it was designed.
  12. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    You might not want to bother, but it might not hurt to take it to a different Apple Store and see if you get the same result. I haven't exactly had stellar results with my local Apple retail stores, but have found one that has better service than the others...also, try and do it during a day and time when they won't be as busy so they can't pull the "busy" crap on you.

Up to you though.
  13. compuwar macrumors 601

Oct 5, 2006
    Northern/Central VA
    I'd have them do it. If you've got the money, a good UPS will isolate the power issue (especially once it's charged and unplugged!) and they're not all that expensive (depending on your location in the world) and not a bad investment.

Also, in high ambient noise environments, a rolled-up piece of paper makes a good "stethoscope" for isolating sounds. See where yours makes the sound from, and try the same on a display model.