Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
Hi,

I just purchased a brand new 13.3 in White Macbook with stock 512 GB of Ram. I figured it would be cheaper to upgrade after the purchase rather than BTO. I was wondering what kind of RAM I should buy and where I should purchase it from. Im a little clueless, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

HBK

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The MacBook comes with 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) - so that's the type you want.

Also, because the MacBook's graphics share the system RAM, you'll want to add the RAM in matched pairs (e.g. 512 MB & 512 MB or 1 GB & 1 GB).

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
EricNau said:
The MacBook comes with 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) - so that's the type you want.

Also, because the MacBook's graphics share the system RAM, you'll want to add the RAM in matched pairs (e.g. 512 MB & 512 MB or 1 GB & 1 GB).

I'm thinking about getting 2x 1GB sticks of RAM. I'm just not sure which online retailer is safe to buy from. Any idea?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Newegg has some memory that'll work for a good price. There was a thread on it recently. Get 2 1GB sticks. You won't regret it.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I see you're in Toronto. CanadaRAM has good prices on the perfect RAM for your MacBook. Macs are really REALLY fussy about the RAM they take, so it's always good to order from a reputable dealer.

The user CanadaRAM (on these forums) owns the business and has always been an awesome help and asset to the MacRumors community. I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

Good luck.

PS: I use Kingston RAM and have used it on many MANY Mac's, so you shouldn't have a problem with it.

DocVT

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2006
Go to http://ramseeker.com/ , enter MacBook into the drop down menu and choose "Omni Technologies™ OPTIVAL®". It is going for $69.99 (click on the price to get to the right page on their site) for 1 GB. The price is right and I have had 2 GB running for three weeks.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
crazzyeddie said:
I second the OWC recommendation.

I third that recommendation :)
I bought 2GB of it for my first PB. and i bought 6GB from them for my G5. haven't had a stitch of trouble.

I have heard DMS is pretty good too.

psziel

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2006
Chicago,Illinois
this is the memory i bought for my mini and macbook, so far its working perfect. 2gb for each machine! :)

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231069

Heart Break Kid said:
Hi,

I just purchased a brand new 13.3 in White Macbook with stock 512 GB of Ram. I figured it would be cheaper to upgrade after the purchase rather than BTO. I was wondering what kind of RAM I should buy and where I should purchase it from. Im a little clueless, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

HBK

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
EricNau said:

i dont think bc the macbook's graphics shares system RAM that it has anythign to do with adding matched pairs of RAM, myths myths myths ( where did they coem from?) oh yea u get a 5% increase in speed or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.