just got a new system, looking for some game recommendations

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatm31, Aug 8, 2004.

1. greatm31 macrumors member

Oct 19, 2001
    Hey all. I'm getting my Powerbook 15" 1.5GHz in the mail kinda soon (weeeee) and, having purchased it, I'm obviously on a tight budget. I'm looking for some pretty sweet games for it (I have only old computers, thus I'm "out of touch" with the latest and greatest). Any reccomendations? I know about UT2k4 and Halo and Warcraft and all that, I guess I'm looking for more obscure, maybe even a few years old, but still really good. For that matter, if you know a good source to get them for cheap, let me know. I'm in to just about every genre (but especially RPG and strategy). Thanks!
  2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Any of the Forgotten Realms games are good. That's Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights. All of them except for Icewind Dale also have expansion packs. They're very good.
  3. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    How about Oni?

It's a action game in an anime world, with a kick ass (literally) heroine. Never tried it on the Mac, but I'm guessing it's the same as the PC version. It's kind of fun, at least in the beginning. Can't comment on the rest of the game, since I never finished it. (Don't remember why).

Or Alpha Centauri?

You've probably heard of this, and if you haven't: It's like Civilization, except after the space shuttle reach Alpha Centauri.

Or Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2?

A babe with a gun or sword that kill baddies. Nice enough Quake 2-engine quality graphics. Pretty fun.

Or Tux Racer?

Race down the hills, catching fish, with our friend Tux, the penguin. I'm fairly sure that it's available for MacOS X. It's Free too.

Or BloodRayne?

Control a bloodsucking vampiress, fighting nazi zombies. ;) Good, messy, fun if you don't take it too seriously.

(Disclamer: Only tried PC or Linux versions, but all of them have Mac ports).
  4. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Been playing Heroes III non-stop for about a month. Runs under classic :) F**kin awesome... not got around to buying number 4 yet.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I spend most of my time playing Civilization III and Warcraft III. Also, Command and Conquer Generals rules.

The best, cheapest place to buy games is from GoGamer. They have a good selection in their Mac section, with great prices ($5 - $10 less, even when its a new release).
  6. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    My favourite Mac game in a long time has been Call of Duty. I also enjoyed Medal of Honor before that, as well as Halo (though it is a poor port), Max Payne (rocks!!!), Aliens vs. Predator. Undying was cool too.
  7. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    GoGamer.com and InsideMacGames.com's online store have the lowest prices I could find. Amazon might have a nice deal once in a while.

Anyways, pretty much any current Mac game will work fine. Of course you want recommendations, so I'll let others do that for you. :)
  8. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Great RPGs...

Two Mac RPGs I played are Summoner and Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption. They had excellent storlyines and Vampire had very nice graphics. Both had great soundtracks and gameplay. They are both "party" based RPGs that each offer 50+ hours of fun gameplay. The only drawback: you'd have to run them out of classic. :(
  9. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    Instead, I'll recommend games to avoid buying to play on your 15" powerbook (unless you order it with 128mb VRAM, in which case you might take the risk):

Battlefield 1942
    Black Hawk Down
    Tron 2.0
    Halo (unless you don't mind lo-res and low-quality sound)
    Command&Conquer Generals(you'll want your money back)
    Rainbow Six:Raven Shield

The following games show off your Powerbook yet are also loads of fun and run amazing well at high/medium res/detail.:

Return To Castle Wolfenstein (currently the best bargain)
    Call of Duty
    No One Lives Forever 2
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Dungeon Siege
    Warcraft 3
    Airburst (my favorite shareware)
  10. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004

When you look at the barefeats benchmarks the 128MB of VRAM makes very little difference in the above games, unless you are playing them at very high res. Even then the extra VRAM only up'd the framerate slightly.

...having said that, I bought the extra VRAM with my book, it was cheap and will be better utilized by newer gamers.

11. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    Arghh .... Couple of years ago I used to play a game on the PC that was a remake of an old C64 game. It was like a space fighter simulation / management type game where you had to expand your space fleet and conquer new worlds ... Really awesome

Found it ... It was Elite .... Is there a similar game for the Mac? If so, nice!