Just got a Powerbook 5300ce!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merf, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Merf macrumors regular

One of my friends jsut gave me a old Powerbook 5300ce. It has 32 megs of ram and a 1.1 gig drive. I want to put in a 8 gig drive that I have from another old powerbook. But I'm not to sure how to install the OS on it. I want to put 9 on but there is no cd drive. Can I even boot from a cd? I have the small scsi adapter to normal scsi, and I have a 4x scsi drive. It has 7.5.3 on it right now. One time with my old 5300 I installed os 8 or 8.5 on it through appletalk with just a printer cable. It took like 5 hours. Also I have a 5400/200 can I just hook up the 5300 to it through scsi? Make it think its an external drive and then install 9 on it?

thanks,
    Merf

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yeah, hook up the scsi cd rom with os 8/9 cd. (press c while booting, if it wont boot from the cd rom, reboot and hold "command+alt+shift+backslash" to boot from the cdrom. (if it a non apple brand cd rom its maybe impossible to boot from cd.)
    If you have os 8 then upgrade to is 8.1 (free from apple)
    os 8.1 is faster than os 8.0 (i've used both on a powerbook 2300)
    os 9.04 (don't use plain os 9.0, 9.0.4 is free from apple) is the newest os that will run on the 5300, but os 8.1 is much faster and uses a lot less ram..

-tb

3. Merf thread starter macrumors regular

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

good luck with your project

realize that not all hardware on your machine could work seamlessly with os 9.x, but apple-history.com says that your machine will take up to os 9.1 and 64 megs of ram, which was a very respectable amount of memory back in 1995

i tried putting windows 2000 pro on my pc laptop which was designed for windows 95/98 and while most of the machine worked, there were not software drivers available anywhere for the internal laptop modem for windows 2000 but many dos related 98 machines didn't make the dod sec2 standards of the hcl of nt technology...i didn't try out every aspect of the machine, like speakers, peripherals, and easy access buttons (a compaq/hp feature)

part of the computer industy's reason to make new operating systems not work with slightly older gear is to force us to buy new machines...it's a vicious cycle which makes the average user have to update every several years

what i like to do as a techie is challenge myself and see how old of a machine i can get to work comfortably in today's ultra high tech computer world...i may try and put jaguar on my rev a ibook/300 mhz/160 megs of ram/4 mb video card computer and see how it runs on the internet and with photoshop, illustrator, and pagemaker

right now with those specs, i run photoshop 5.5, illustrator 8, and pagemaker 6.5 easily on the ibook without crashing that much using os 9.0...of course, i wouldn't try to do a lot of work under a deadline on that machine since the dual g4 is much better suited for that ;)

5. cubist macrumors 68020

8.6 might be a better choice.

Does the 5300 have built-in 10baseT, or do you need an AAUI transceiver? If the latter, ask around if any of your friends have one. You can do the install over Ethernet.

If you go the SCSI route, it will be much faster. Watch out for termination issues, as usual.