Just got a PS2 for 30 bucks. Now I need advice

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bobber205, Jun 2, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. It came with Ratchet and Clank, some dumb ATV game, the network adapter, and two controllers. for 30 bucks.

So now I need to know how I can set it up in my room using a VGA CRT monitor.

Advice appreciated!

2. macrumors 601

gloss

They used to make VGA Boxes for the Dreamcast, but I don't know if something similar is available for the PS2.

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

5. macrumors 604

zap2

I just got one today for 40...could I gotten it for less, but some kid was looking at it, so I went for a quick buy, and gave him the price. I got GTA and Bully..only one controller...I'm off today to pick up some games.

I also got 2 working intellivisions! And tons of games for them for 15(plus a NES Zapper and 3 NES games)

Got to love yard sales! Also found a family who is selling some Sega systems next week...needless to say I'll be going back to get them(the lady said he son had 3!! I'm hoping for a Master System..and maybe some weird add ons...or Saturn for NiGHTS..but anything Sega would be nice!)

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Lol. What a nice coincidence. :D

I just need to get something I can play it on. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd love a cheap PS2. They're going for £90 here second hand ($180 to you folks). Which is grossly over what they're worth. Plus when the laser goes I won't feel as bad if I spent a tiny amount.

8. macrumors 6502a

sb58

am i the only person who bought a ps2 when they came out? :p

9. macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I bought mine last April, wasted a ton of money, used it for 2 months, and its been sitting there since. :)

10. macrumors 6502a

I got one the week they came out. With the whole 'won't read blue dics/dvds' crap. :(

11. macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

12. macrumors Core

Dagless

I got one when MGS2 came out (was it launch? I can't remember) but I didn't like the game or anything already out or coming out. So I sold it and only lost a few quid.

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Ok. I think I may have found a relatively free solution.

We have one of those old G3's. The ones before the iMacs that had every input known to man? :D It has the yellow,white,red both IN and OUT, and what looks and is labled S-Video IN and OUT. (do they have different plugins for in and out)?

Pics are what the back looks like. I know they're a little blurry. my question is how do I use this to hook up the ps2 to? :)

Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. macrumors 68030

apfhex

Wow, was that an add on I wonder... don't remember G3's coming with those ports.

I guess if you have input ports, go ahead an give it a try. The yellow is a composite video port, the red/white are stereo audio ports. Then S-Video. The PS2 normally comes with a composite video cable with audio (Yellow Red White). You're PS2 came with that cable, right?

15. macrumors 68020

Some kind of video editing program that can use those ports.

iMovie might be worth a shot.

I wonder if Mac OS X even recognizes those ports. Those same ports are on some video cards, but I don't know what program they require to get actual video on your screen.

I was going to say you need a video upscaler of some kind if you wanted hook up your PS2 via VGA. I have a NextVision N6 on my desk that I use for all of my consoles hooked up to my Samsung LCD.

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I don't have imovie for OS X. Does vlc support it? Any ideas?

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Well it works. :D

I used the old "Apple Video Player" for OS 9 and as soon as I plugged it in, the video came up. lol!

But I don't have any sound, which sucks. Any suggestions why the red and whites aren't working?

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Update:

Got the sound working. Turns out you have to go the control panel, make sure nothing is using the source, and select RCA Stereo/Sound.

Boom! It's working. Go Apple! :D

Wtf does this computer have all this awesome inputs/outputs? This computer must have been uber expensive back in the day (we got it for 25 dollars)

19. macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. The video quality is pretty good too. :D

I never expected this to work but hey! Good luck huh?

21. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My beige G3 certainly didn't have all those inputs, but I think that I recall an optional add-on (ie. not third-party).

Now, can someone figure out a way to use my PS2 on my MBP screen? :p

As a side note, a friend was around this weekend and he has an LCD attached to his PS2. It also has internal speakers. If I recall correctly, it's from a company called Joytech.

22. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's quite easy. El Gato products... The cheapest one of their products that you can use is the EyeTV Hybrid, but there's also EyeTV 250.

23. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

$450 for an EyeTV?! Forget it. (That's for the 250, I can't find the Hybrid in NZ).

24. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I have a Kworld 1440 VGA box for this.

Got it from Newegg for 65 bucks. Has composite, S-Video, and Component, and the quality is excellent. It also works as a TV tuner.

It works great on my 800x600 27" Gateway Destination computer monitor that has no other inputs other than VGA (Those cheeky bastards)

That Xploder cord is junk. You need the expensive $40 dollar software to make it work, and it doesnt work with all the games.

25. macrumors member

Last time I tried doing something like this I used my ATI AIW composite hookup to play my PS2 (i actually had 2 of them the week they came out...the day they came out I got the one and the other came after...long story). Anyway it worked but it 'shook'. The screen was shaking enough to give me a headache so that ended that and I got a tv (which was smaller then my 22" monitor at the time *sigh*.)

Glad it's working for you, doesn't sound like you are experiencing 'shaking' either.

ps. nice avatar but Urd > Skuld ...unless your a lolicon maybe hahahaha.:D