Just Got A Ps3!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by MovieCutter, Nov 21, 2006.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Just got a call from my aunt in my hometown about 30 miles away asking if she should buy a PS3? I said she was crazy and she must be delusional if she thinks anyone has them, to which she replied "I have one in my hand right now and there's one left here at Wal-Mart" I'm a Wii fan, no need or desire for a PS3, but the possibility of holding the most coveted game consoles in the world. Needless to say, I jumped into my car, drove 90 MPH back to my hometown and low and behold...there it was. 20GB Playstation 3, the epitamy of the most wanted and sought after toy this season, staring me in the face for a measly $499+tax. SERIOUSLY debating whether to keep it or hit eBay tonight.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

eBay it.

My nephew and his college roommates put together and bought four of them. They already have $3,000 for two of them.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:( you could have bought both, and sent one to me ;)

Congrats. They arent going for as much as they were before and there is still thousands of them still on ebay. It might effect the price you get.

Keep it and enjoy :)

4. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I wish you would have told me about the other...I would have bougt it and paid you $25 for finding it.

ebay that bad boy....make some money and buy it when it becomes more available in about 2-4 weeks.

5. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

My aunt bought one, I bought the other. So no more at the local Wal Mart. $25 finder's fee? Given how much these are STILL selling for on eBay (at least $200 over retail, and I've got property taxes to pay so every little bit helps), I'd have sold both if they'd let me buy both. On eBay now btw.

6. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I was saying if you didn't have the money to pay for it I would have fronted the money and paid you for finding it. I have a weird feeling you had every intention of selling this on ebay.....helps put money in the bank.:D

7. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

ebay it, ebay it, and then ebay it some more. BUT DONT do it now. Wait til about dec 8-10, thats when my last 60gb is going on, and its exactly when rich mommy and daddy cant seem to find it anywhere, and resort to ebay. :D

8. LaDirection macrumors 6502

Sell it. You have ZERO reasons to keep it.

1-It's full of bugs.

2- All the games but one (fall of man) are serious dissapointments.

3-There are but a handful of titles, and most PS2-ps1 games don't work at this point.

4-In a year or 2, you'll have a bug-free system available for less, many titles, hopefully some good ones, a solid after market of inexpensive titles, mod chips (sorry, but it's true and even if they are "blu-ray", these next-gen titles are all DVD-size for now and these machines play back DVD's...) and a rental market, of course.

Also, by then, you'll be able to judge which console is really winning this round. I had put my money on the PS3 after seeing some of the tech demos. But just as Sony had done when the Dreamcast had released Shemue, they showed cuts scenes and pretended they were actually in game footage. Compare Gundam the game to Gundam the preview video... Goddamn! Also, compare Call of Duty 3 PS3 to Call of Duty 3 XBOX 360. The framerate and textures are better on the XBOX version.

It took the PS2 5 years before it really got enough good games to make me put my Dreamcast aside. I bought it used for dirt cheap and immediately enjoyed Soul Caliber 3, RE 4, God of War and Guitar Hero. Don't waste your money. Wait.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

eBay it, you'll probably make $300-$400 profit.

10. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

That's what I'm thinking too...it's a weird fluctuation atmosphere. All sorts of different scenarios.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The game console is crap (it ain't worth keeping), sell it on eBay you profit whore. :p

12. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

14. Dandaman macrumors 6502

hahaha, that was a great south park episode.

daniel

15. Motley macrumors 6502

So is anyone who got a PS3 actually going to post about how it plays or just about ebaying it?

Not that 50 Wii threads are a bad thing, it just be interesting to hear opinions about the PS3 from people that actually own and use them (all 5 of you).

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Wait... you can play them??? I thought they were just lumps of gold to be resold?

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I think it's delicious how third parties are making oodles of money at Sony's expense. Brilliant.

18. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

My roommate has kept his. I have to say and he agrees, at this point, the 360 blows the PS3 away. There are some really great games out for the 360. He bought Resistance:Fall of Man and it feels very much like a PS2.5 game, graphics are nothing special, gameplay is the same as any other FPS. The only thing cool is the ability to have 40 people online, but we found that the numbers are much less in regular matches. The maps are huge and if you don't have 40 people, you are running around for a while trying to find someone.

While the menu system might work well on a PSP, it seems very bleak and boring on a large TV. To get to anything, it takes many steps and submenus. There is no personality to the system at all, nothing that says "Come play and hang out with friends". Again, there is nothing that makes it feel like the system is your system.

We also have noticed that there doesn't seem to be any Achievements like on the 360. While they do nothing and mean nothing, they make me try different things in games that I wouldn't normally have. I really love trying to get achievements and it's a shame that Sony hasn't implemented a similar system. If there is one, it is not as obvious and fullfilling as the 360's.

The other thing I didn't like is that there is no way to replace the batteries on the controllers. With my 360, I use rechargeable AA batteries and keep extras so when the controllers die, I just pop in a new set. I never have to plug the controller in or deal with cables. With the PS3 controllers, you have to plug them in at some point, and the cable that comes with the system is ridiculously short, like 5 feet. That barely gets to our coffee table, no way we could play and charge at the same time.

While the BlueRay player is nice, I absolutely cannot stand the DVD controls. They are the same as the PS2, and I hated those. Using the controller, there is nothing obvious to pause or play and the DVD controls are it's hard to see on the screen when something is playing. And, since the PS3 doesn't have A IR port, you cannot use a regular universal remote, it has to be BlueTooth.

The PS3 is much quieter than the 360, you don't hear the discs spin up and down.

I think it says something about the system when we had just popped in R:FoM for 10 minutes and were both like "Let's Play some Gears of War instead".

As of now, the 360 feels like a gaming system. It is easy to navigate and communicate with friends. There are some great games as well. The PS3, just like a lot of things Sony does, has amazing potential, but it doesn't do one thing great, it just sorta dabbles in everything, and that is where I think it is going to get hurt.

19. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

1. Sell the PS3 on eBay
    2. Use the profits to buy a Wii and an Xbox 360
    3. Keep the rest of the money to buy another PS3 next year
    4. Play real fun games! :D

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

huzzah to those who need to brag about selling their PS3 on eBay! Because everyone thinks you are SO cool, man chicks my be lining up to get a piece of you.

21. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No, but my girlfriend is pretty happy that we'll have an extra $400-500 to play with this holiday season. Jealous? Seems to be the only rationale behind your pointless post.

22. harveypooka macrumors 65816

KEEP IT! And as Arny would say "You son of a bitch!", Predator.

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

oh im so jealous of you...god its just oozing out of me.

No, im tired of people bragging about how they got a PS3 and are gonna flip it. Wow, Congrats you did what thousand of others did. Hurray for you! You arent debating whether you should sell it, you are wanting a feeling for how much you should ask for.

but hey, there are so many other topics about this, I suppose you just HAD to start another one

24. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Is there some PS3 envy in here or something...?

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Personally, I'm not envious of anyone who's gotten a PS3.

If you bought it to actually play games on it, guess what? My 360 has MUCH better games out, and I've been playing them for a year now. Why should I envy the PS3 when my 360s (plus my HD-DVD add-on, which I can use on EITHER 360 if I want to) do everything the PS3 does, and then some?

If you bought it just to flip it, congratulations. You're either a speculator or you're a scalper. Sell it for a profit if you can, but please leave those of us who don't care out of it. And no crying if you find yourself unable to get that huge profit you were dreaming of and convinced you deserved.