Just got a RAZR... Need help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheMonarch, Jun 22, 2006.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I just got a RAZR phone earlier today... Ant its already driving me nuts.

Its the Verizon RAZR V3m, which is supposed to be Bluetooth and music capable.

I just barely got iSync to work. But now I want to load music onto it. So I connected it to my PowerBook via USB (Didn't come with it, used my camera cable) and nothing... It just charges.

I checked system profiler. And it shows up in there.

So its, like... There... But not... there? :confused: :confused:

Anyone have this phone... Any Ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, on system profiler, it shows up as "Motorola V3c". But I got the V3m :confused:

2. A is jump macrumors regular

A is jump

You are going to be as Furious as I was.

You cant do it. Sorry. Verizon Disables this fuction of the phone. you can sync your contacts and thats it.
    However, Verizon does offer some software that you can buy and do such things with your RAZR via USB... Oh, but its not mac compatible, so... unless you have a PC, you're kinda SOL.
    I REALLY wish that I had taken my phone back when I discovered that... because the salesman told me it would work.. and I knew that the RAZRs were able to do file transfers via bluetooth, because I had done it with other friends phones.
    Its a really crummy deal... if you dont have to go with verizon... try to take it back and go with a different service provider... one that doesnt take away some of the most useable fuctions of a phone.

I think the reason is so you have to use their stupid V-cast thing... so lame.

ha, I just looked at your profile, you're in the Bay area too... Go with Cingular.

3. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

WHAT?! :eek: :mad:

What software? PC only?! WTF :mad:

Grr. I'm stuck for another 2 years. But generally, verizon has good reception [where I live]. And the non-verizon phones' interface sucks...

Great, I have a headache :(

4. A is jump macrumors regular

A is jump

Sorry man.... The software is called their "home office package" or something stupid like that... more or less, it just allows you to use USB to connect to your computer... its an additional $40. I bought it thinking... ok, well at least I"ll be able to use my phone... at least they took that back. (I dont own a pc)
    really really stupid. Sorry man, we both have been had. I agree that the reception in the bay area is great, but why have a RAZR if it cant do what its supposed to?

5. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Do you have a return policy? I mean, cingular has a 30 day policy so i'm sure verizon should have something. Return it, and sign up with cingular.. believe me, I have dealt with Verizon and I refuse to put up with their crap of disabling features, etc. etc.

6. A is jump macrumors regular

A is jump

I suppose at least it looks nice....

*sigh* 22 months to go...

7. A is jump macrumors regular

A is jump

Seriously, do it. I kinda brushed it off, but every day I get more and more mad about it. Cingular is supposed to have really good coverage in the bay area too.

You do have 15 days to return it. do it, two years is too long.

8. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

UGH! I am so pissed off right now...

I can't cancel, as I'm part of my father's plan, not a main holder. And he's not a tech guy, so he won't know what I'm bitching about.

FU verizon. FU good... :mad:

9. iShane macrumors 6502a

I got a Verizon RAZR V3c two Sundays ago. Verizon cripples everything. Believe me.

Also, if you don't like the phone you CAN take it back within two weeks and exchange it for something else. I am sure about this as I asked the Verizon people before I bought it incase I hated it, which I don't. Anyways. You can take it back and exchange it for something else. If I were you I would get the LG VX9800, but that's just me.

10. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

11. kyleaa macrumors regular

If you have an intel mac, install boot camp and find a bootleg copy of motorola phonetools. I had to hack my V3c to get it to work, but the only hack I needed was to edit the phone to tell the computer it was a V3m, so I would think you would be okay from the start...

I was annoyed when I figured out they disabled everything, but I will take it over using some of the other phones out on the market. And I'm in upstate New York, and GSM phones suck around here. My friends have cingular/sprint and they lose calls ALL the time. I would rather have a phone that does nothing except make calls than one that could do everything except what it is designed for.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

go look on howardforums to see if they have any tips about unlocking those features that verizon disabled on that phone.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would take it back for a refund and get the cheapest phone possible. That'll teach them.

I also am a Verizon subscriber, but only because of the coverage, in every other aspect, they suck. :mad:

14. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

If you keep the RAZR, get insurance.

I've been through about 3 of them with cingular...If you drop it from a distance of more than 2 feet, just leave it on the ground and head to the store.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

Huh, mine's fallen and skidded onto concrete many times from all sorts of heights, won't die.

16. kyleaa macrumors regular

Second that. I've dropped it far more than my other phones and this one holds up the best. It hasnt even scratched.

17. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I take that back. Verizon's interface has got to be one of the worst, most obnoxious interfaces I've ever used.

:mad:

18. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Does the interface on the phone really change with the provider?

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

with verizon yes.....

U have an intel mac u can run boot camp... its gotta be for something right; if not its a good excuse to get one ;)

the reason why i got the E815

20. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Yes, if you're provider happens to be verizon :rolleyes:

You wouldn't believe how horrible it is. Its the most unintuitive piece of crap software I've ever used... And I've used Windows™. Its so restricted, its not even funny.

-Buried common actions
    -Low batt warnings that _can't_ be silenced
    -It takes 30 seconds from the main menu>song playing.
    -The outer screen is in color, but there is no point, as there's no setting to change. All you get is a clock in an orange background and a banner saying 'Verizon wireless'... You can't change it.
    -No vibration+ring combo.

The list goes on... All apart from the feature crippling verizon does (Like bluetooth).
    Cingular and the rest seem to leave the original interface intact.

This isn't my fist verizon phone, my other one have the same [practically] exact interface, but I didn't expect much from my other phone. Verizon does this to many of their phones.

21. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Agreed. My girlfriend has Verizon and their interfaces do blow---big time. That and as mentioned they cripple their phones.

I've had Cingular and never had problems. I had an old school Nokia and then a
    Sony Ericsson T616. I recently bought the Sony Ericsson Wi600. Both SE mobile's work well with my Macbook. I LOVE Bluetooth on these phones. They both upload and download to my MB.

22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Ahh yes. I hate this phone (Verizon RAZR). This is easily the worst cell-phone I have ever had. One of my best friends has a Cingular RAZR and it is great, but this one is so crippled and annoying (examples mentioned above) that I hate it. This phone has single-handedly made the decision for me to switch back to Cingular once my contract is up (I'm even considering buying out my contract so I can switch soon). I've been on Verizon for about 3 years now (had Cingular for 3 years prior to that). Reception is great but I absolutely cannot stand the way Verizon cripples everything and then asks for tons of $ to give you features that should already be on the phone.

23. Fourbin macrumors regular

The V3m syncs with Windows Media Player on PCs. However, are you sure you can't just Bluetooth Send File to the device? In the bluetooth icon up top on your screen, click Send File and try sending an MP3 to the phone, see if that works.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know if Verizon cripples this, but I wanted to point out that both this (and browsing the RAZR to pick files off of it) work fine on T-Mo RAZR V3's....

Related question. On my Nokia, when I took a picture, I could go to the picture in the album and the hotkey had an option à la "Send file to bluetooth recipient." Granted that was a smartphone running Symbian, is there an equivalent function on the RAZR, or do I have to browse the RAZR from the Mac and locate the file that way?

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I got my RAZR for free, so I guess I can't complain. It's a great phone in terms of Phone Functionality, but the interface is pretty ass. I should see if my work will pay for EVDO so I can connect to wireless broadband via Bluetooth. :cool: