Just Got a Ti-84 Plus "Silver Edition"

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Aug 12, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

What are good games for this thing, lol, its still summer so no school yet... :D
    I also noticed the software that interfaces with it is beta under os x, can it be trusted? Or is it hella buggy, im gettin the feeling it is even thought I havn't tried it. :confused:

2. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Don't know if you're already familiar with the TI calculators, or if this is your first one.

I have a TI-89, and I've had no problems using the OS X Ti Connect software.

Regarding games, I've gone to www.ticalc.org in the past, and then click on archives at the top. They have stuff for pretty much every Ti calculator. You will want to download games that are written in assembly language (abbreviated "asm"). Those will be faster than games written using the TI programming software. Hopefully that's enough to get you started. I remembering having fun with friends in high school during class playing two player Tetris via the link cable. But I'm sure you'd never consider doing that... :)

-S

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yup, I have a Ti-83 Silver and a Ti-86, and I would say you could trust the software.

This is an excellent site for download Ti calculator games.

http://www.ticalc.org/

And it's also how I learned BASIC.

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yep!

I also just purchased a new 84+ SE, upgrading from a 83+ SE, which I have used for 2 years. I attend (for half the day) a Math/Science Center, in which the 83+ is required by all students. Considering everyone has one, we all share/discuss software among friends, and I have a few recommendations for you. First of all, make sure that when looking for games, look in the 83+ section. (The 84+ section is quite empty, and all 83 stuff works on the 84) I'd highly recommend MirageOS. It's an app that shows you all the games you have on your calculator. Then, download and install Phoenix 3.1. It was just recently revamped, and is, in my opinion, the best game you can get for your calc. Here're the links I've come up with:
    (P.S. Both MirageOS games AND Ion games will show up in Mirage OS)

Mirage OS: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/shells/mirageos.zip
    Phoenix: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/asm/games/ion/phoenix83p.zip
    Other Ion Games: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/asm/games/ion/
    Other MirageOS Games: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/asm/games/mirageos/

Good luck, and have fun!

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

sweetness!
    how do you like the ti-84? im thinking about getting one for school..

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Get that (if you want)... but seriously consider a TI-89. (Oh, no, here I go again...) "Everyone" keeps talking about it, since [1] it can do far more than the TI-83 Plus, [2] it solves many equations in 1-20 seconds, whereas you can't solve the same equation on a TI-83, requiring more manual labor, [3] it can be used for Algebra 1, to advanced calculus, to some differential equations, and even linear regression, and [4] it lasts a very long time, much longer than those f***ing CASIO crappers. Seriously, almost anyone here that has had experience with more than one TI-## (## goes from 80 to 92 Plus), such as myself, would rather be better off with the TI-89 than any other TI-##, because it can do so much more and quicker than other calcs.

End TI-89 bragging. :D

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea

Yea, if you're out of school (high school, i mean) and in college, the TI-89 is the calculator for you. (Didn't they just release a new one too? Like the TI-89 Titanium or something?) The thing is though, I don't believe the TI-89 is allowed on some of the tests you take throughout high school. (ACT/PSAT/SAT) If you're in college and need a big, beefy calculator for very advanced math classes, definitely grab the TI-89. For everyone else, there's the 84. ;) (That was a Mastercard reference for those who didn't catch it.)

8. nizz macrumors regular

i just got the ti-89 titanium and it is the best calculator i've ever used. it might be a bit overkill for high school though.

im sure the 84+ will be fine if you're in high school. try not to plan so far into the future though. if you dont need the 89t for another 4 years or so, dont get it. my ti 83 and 86 both died in less then 3 years.

ps : dont forget to download tetris!

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Luckily I never had to encounter that hardship and still haven't going into my second year of college shortly. Though some places actually BAN the TI-89 on some AP/SATs, because it's such a powerful calculator. Check with your test coordinators and teachers first to confirm that you can use it.

Edit: Correction... during my last year of H.S., I was involved in something called the Math Team, and on many Away meetings, TI-89s were not allowed, but TI-83 Pluses were.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah i know about the ti-89...the thing is i havent been able to use mine for my last math class at school (algebra 2 :rolleyes:) so i sold it, but next year is ap calc and i can use the ti-89 but seeing as how i dont have that anymore and my ti-86 is starting to get screwy with me (its around 5 years old now lol, think i got it for a math class before junior high) its about time i got a new calculator..
    yeah ive seen the new titanium one. i'm still not sure about which one to get though lol.

and all of the TI's up to 89 can be used on the SAT and APs and stuff; its the most powerful calculator allowed. The 92 Plus cant be used, what a shame ;) :p

edit: Urrrr they should allow you to use the 89 Titanium and the 89 in general. It meets the requirements for the college board, if the proctor doesnt allow you to take it, thats _really_ messed up...you should contact the supervisor if the proctor doesnt allow you to use a calculator that is entirely permissible.
    http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/testday/calc.html

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Click on each of the calculators below for more information.

I didn't use the Amazon.com version of the TI-89 (regular) pic, because it sucked. The real TI-89 reg. looks black.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ahh, I'm an HP guy when it comes to calculators. I still have my 11c from the late 80's when I was in HS, now I use the 48g I bought for college. Reverse Polish notation rules! :D

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

What are the differences between the Ti-83 Plus SE and the Ti 84 Plus SE?
    I have the former, and don't really see a reason to upgrade now (only being a sophomore in high school).

14. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

w0w

it seems people here really know their calcs! heh, well yeah, i got the 84 plus silver edition for 99.99 (ripped off? good price?) at sams b/c i need it for pre-cal this coming sep. I am going to be a senior in high school. :D

15. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I have the Ti-83+ and love it. I used to play a lot of games on it but they drain the battery a lot so I stopped. Also, its really simple to write your own programs for it which is useful when you have to do a lot of repetive problems out of a text book. All you have to do is plug in a,b,and c and you get the answer. Though this method is not as useful when you have to show your work but you can always view the code of the program if you forget the formula.

16. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Use an 83 (or 83+) for HS and then the moment you start college, get an 89. It will SAVE YOUR BUT when you go out and party too much before a calc test. Any college worth it's butt will let you use it, (basically, after the ACT and SAT's your fine).

BEN

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

i dunno...a lot of people in ap calc seem to have 89s and everything but 83s...maybe because its pretty powerful and sweet :)
    anyway, i need a new calculator and the price difference between the 84 and the 89 ti isnt too bad, i might as well just get the 89 ti.
    and you can use the 89 on the SAT...not sure about the ACTs though, but not planning on taking it..

18. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Differences

The differences are... More memory, a slighly better looking screen, a built in clock (woo hoo!), and a new design. I'm not really sure what else there is... (Besides a USB port, but I don't see why they added that...) :D

19. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Wow!

Geez, that's a really good deal... My friend and I each purchased one, he got his for $130, and I got mine on sale at Target for $115. I might have to start shopping at Sam's Club! ;)

20. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Agreed, I can't even use another calculator hardly. I keep going 2...where's the enter key. :D

21. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
  22. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

TI-82 Baby, TI-82

:D

23. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    heh, i dont feel so lowly anymore.. but it's nice to have company down here. :D

24. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

what i dont understand is... any math teacher worth their salt is going to not allow you to use calculators on exams...

SO WHY BUY THEM!?

i don't recall using a calculator through the last 2 years of high school, or all through college, or in any of my graduate classes. not for exams anyway. and if you work through equations on paper- better for understanding them anyway- you can use a 2 cent calculator from the drug store...

[/rant]

25. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

uh

in my high school, we have been able to use calcs in all my math classes on tests and even on final exams.... Im surpised you havn't been.. Where you from? :confused: